Zyxel NWA50AX Revert to Stock (SOLVED)

Hi all:

Thanks in advance but I am unable to find instructions for reverting the NWA50AX back to stock firmware.

I have the following installed on my Zyxel:
OpenWrt 22.03.5 r20134-5f15225c1e / LuCI openwrt-22.03 branch git-23.093.57104-ce20b4a

When I go to upgrade I get the following message:
Image check failed:

Sun Oct 8 18:08:01 EDT 2023 upgrade: Image metadata not present Sun Oct 8 18:08:01 EDT 2023 upgrade: Use sysupgrade -F to override this check when downgrading or flashing to vendor firmware Image check failed.

Force upgrade

Select 'Force upgrade' to flash the image even if the image format check fails. Use only if you are sure that the firmware is correct and meant for your device!

Do I just "Force Upgrade"?

The file I am using to revert to stock is the bin file from the Zyxel website (629ABYW1C0.bin). I am pretty sure that this is the correct file.

I want to avoid using serial access if I can.

I tried

without any success.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Bill

According to the commit message, there should be the command zyxel-bootconfig in OpenWrt. You might want to try:

zyxel-bootconfig /dev/mtd10 get-status

to get the current status. If this works and reports a valid image in the other slot, you should be able to change the active image with

zyxel-bootconfig /dev/mtd10 set-active-image 1

NB: I'm not familiar with this device, I'm just interpreting the commit message.

1 Like

Hi andyboeh:

I think you have solved it!

produces:

BusyBox v1.35.0 (2023-04-27 20:28:15 UTC) built-in shell (ash)

_______                     ________        __
 |       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
 |   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
 |_______||   __|_____|__|__||________||__|  |____|
          |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M
 -----------------------------------------------------
 OpenWrt 22.03.5, r20134-5f15225c1e
 -----------------------------------------------------
root@OpenWrt:~# zyxel-bootconfig /dev/mtd10 get-status
Active Image: 0
Image 0 Status: valid
Image 1 Status: valid
root@OpenWrt:~# 

I think I am going to give Openwrt another try but if I need to revert to stock, I now know where to start.

Thank you so much.

Bill

1 Like