ZyXEL NBG6817 sysupgrade possible?

Hi there,

I'm running on version OpenWrt 19.07-SNAPSHOT r10321-c85f9a245a, and I would like to upgrade to the official release of OpenWrt.
Is it safe to upgrade thru the luci interface?

I also have another question about where to download the latest 19.07?
The NBG6817 does not appear in the list of compatible devices.

Thanks for your help :wink:

I have updated the dataentry now to 19.07.1.
19.07.1 downloads are shown on the devicepage:

1 Like

Thanks for that @tmomas.

Is there any cons to upgrade from a snapshot to official release?

Generally official stable releases are easier and more stable for the average user. Snapshots have the advantage of being on the bleeding edge, but each snapshot can potentially introduce new bugs even as others are fixed -- snapshots happen daily and are not as well tested as a stable release.

In addition, if you want to install any packages that are not part of your standard image, you may find that you cannot install them a short time (even as short as a few hours) after you download and install the snapshot version... snapshots are a moving target, and the package repository and the dependencies are constantly being updated, so you have to keep up (installing new snapshots frequently) if you want to be able to install other packages along the way. By contrast, the stable releases have package repositories that are available for years and there are rarely issues installing new packages as a result of any changing dependencies and such.

2 Likes

Thanks @psherman.
I'll upgrade tonight and hope I will not have issue :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.