Zyxel NBG419N wifi interface missing

Hi.

I have an old Zyxel NBG419N v1. So I decided to install OpenWRT. After many tries I managed to install the factory image via UART TFTP. However I found that in LUCI is missing wifi interface. So I tried to update to 19.07.10. It showed error message that the FW is not for my device so I forced the installation. After reboot the GUI still shows v19.07.7 and wifi interface still missing.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks a lot in advance!

This device isn't supported by anything beyond 19.07. But that firmware release series has been EOL and unsupported for many years now (the 19.07.10 service release came out in April 2022 and was officially EOL not long after that). This release should not be used anymore because of the many known serious vulnerabilities. The device itself should be tossed in the e-waste bin because it is too old to run anything modern and secure.

Hi Psherman.

Thank you for your reply. I'm fully aware of the EOL status and the resulting security vulnerabilities. I don't plan to use it myself however I wanted to donate it to a friend who want to use it as second AP to cover larger building. I warned him of the security risks, however he's fine with that. After all, he never updated FW on his main wifi router. So I just want to get it into working state with the latest possible OpenWRT (2022) as damage reduction measure. Once configured I plan to disable SSH and http severs to plug those attack vectors. So whenever a change in configuration is needed a I'll have to reset it to factory and reconfigure it from scratch.

The v1 model of that model is not supported beyond 19.07.10. Further, even OpenWrt 22.03 is EOL and unsupported.

If you do this, you'd have a tough time making any configuration adjustments.

Failsafe mode would work here instead of a factory reset... but it's very cumbersome nonetheless.

Given that this device's limitations represent a liability and you'd make a difficult-to-configure situation, it really seems like you're punishing your friend rather than helping them.

Well, my friend is unable to even view the configuration web interface. So the measures I plan to do will not bother him at all and the device will be fairly secure.

Anyway back to my problem. Any idea why the wifi interface is missing?
BTW. I found that I'm not the only one having this problem.

Nope. And I don't remember the details and nuances of old versions.

1 Like

As @psherman said:

It is enough to know supported versions and the different 'nuances'. It is EOL and beyond, reasonable, expectations for the community to juggle what is currently supported and what is no longer supported.

I found what's wrong. On the Zyxel NBG419N wiki page are incorrect links for both factory FW and sysupgrade FW. Correct links should be:
openwrt-19.07.7-ramips-rt305x-nbg-419n-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

not: openwrt-19.07.7-ramips-rt305x-nbg-419n2-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

I installed openwrt-19.07.10-ramips-rt305x-nbg-419n-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin and it seems to be working correctly so far.

Please correct the wiki page if you have free time. Thanks for your support!