Zyxel gs1900-8hpv2 firmware bricked my device

I am trying to understand what I did wrong that seems to have bricked my device.
Here is some context to what I was trying to do. Initially, I had wanted to install the stable release firmware for OpenWrt 21.02.2 onto my device. However, from my understanding, due to some firmware trailer mismatch issue, the OEM firmware had prevented the installation. I had to install a snapshot instead which fortunately worked. However, I realised that the snapshot firmware did not provide enough free flash memory for me to install what I need. Hence, I thought I could try "upgrading" to the stable release now that the trailer mismatch issue is no longer there (scp the squashfs-sysupgrade file and do a sysupgrade -v -n <file> via ssh). However, once that is done, I can no longer access the device via the IP 192.168.1.1. I can't even ping it. What did I do wrong? Was it due to using mismatching set of initramfs-kernel and squashfs-sysupgrade files? (snapshot initramfs-kernel with stable squashfs-sysupgrade)

21.02.x should be fine for th gs1900-8hpv2, so I wouldn't expect issues with that.

What would be more likely, would be trying to write to sysupgrade image to the wrong flash slot (OpenWrt currently only boots from the primary slot, the initramfs image however could boot from either). The only way to be sure is connecting a 3.3V based usb2serial adapter now, which should also easily allow recovering the device.

By flash slot are you referring to the primary/secondary partition mentioned in the OEM installation steps? I do not think this is the issue as I had the snapshot firmware running fine. In fact, what was not mentioned in my initial post is that I had successfully done sysupgrade from one snapshot release to another (uploaded at a later date) via the same method (scp the squashfs-sysupgrade file and do a sysupgrade -v -n <file> via ssh).

The only way to be sure is connecting a 3.3V based usb2serial adapter now

I do not see any port aside from rj45 on the device. Do I need to take apart the casing?

Look at the cooling vents of the right side, the 4-pin header should be accessible from there (without opening the device).

Similar to the design of the gs1900-10hp:

Wow they are well hidden. What does the hard reset button do? I do not possess such a serial connector, so if I can use the reset button to eventually re-flash a working firmware that would be great.

You'll need one, they usually start selling around 5 EUR/ USD with (quick) local shipping or ~1.50 EUR/ USD taking the scenic route from China.

Btw., are you sure that you're trying to connect to your switch correctly?

21.03.x only accepts access from the management VLAN on port1 and from VID 100, follow these steps for details:

Still, get a correct(!) usb2serial adapter (you should have had it on your desk yesterday), don't destroy your ~130 EUR device by trying to save 5 bucks on the required tools.

Btw., are you sure that you're trying to connect to your switch correctly?

I thought I was but I guess I was wrong. I am using a managed switch to do this since VLAN tagging on my PC's ethernet adaptor did not seem to work. Turns out my managed switch was configured incorrectly, leading to the ports I was using to be native VLAN 1 instead of 100.
I am able to access my device now. I guess the snapshot release was configured to not have this strange restriction.
Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.