Zyxel gs1900-8hp v2 using kernel and firmware from different releases

Would just like to find out if there is any potential issue with me using the kernel of a snapshot release and the firmware of a stable release, besides the obvious risk of using a snapshot release. I am doing this because the current stable release kernel is rejected by the OEM firmware.

You can't replace the kernel and firmware separately. They share the same partition, which is dynamically split between kernel and rootfs on boot. Don't mess with that. Just go with a snapshot firmware if you need a snapshot kernel.

The alternative if you really want the stable release, then just install the snapshot release. Next use sysupgrade to downgrade to the stable release.

Not sure if I misunderstood something, but by kernel I was referring to initramfs-kernel.bin file and by firmware, I was referring to squashfs-sysupgrade.bin file. I'm probably mistaken on what the files really are.
Anyway, this seems to be similar to what I did. I used the initramfs-kernel.bin of a snapshot and the squashfs-sysupgrade.bin file of a stable.

1 Like

I've just updated to the 22.03.0-rc1 release on the GS1900-8HP V1 which is essentially the same. The OEM update procedure is now working correctly with this release candidate.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.