ZTE MR286D no LTE or shared internet via LAN connectivity

Model: ZTE MF286D
Firmware: OpenWrt 23.05.3 r23809-234f1a2efa / LuCI openwrt-23.05 branch git-24.073.29889-cd7e519

I've been battling with OpenWRT for three days and although I'm still in the learning phase, I'm finding the curve is near vertical.

My router is connected via lan2 to my PC and my PC is tethered to my phone via USB to obtain internet connectivity. I've verified the connection is shared in Windows.
However, although I can Luci or SSH into the router, there's no internet access from it via my mobile phone so I can't download packages via SSH or update its list within Luci.
I've downloaded the luci-proto-qmi package and it's dependencies to my PC and uploaded them through Luci manually to install them.
But this hasn't enabled LTE connectivity in the router via the sim-card.
The APN details are correct and I've added the lte (qmi-lte) interface to the firewall zone within the lan (br-lan) interface.

I've been unable to find step by step instructions on how to get this router running with OpenWRT and have got this far using Google searches.
Yet, I feel I must be missing something as I don't see why OpenWRT would be made this difficult to get working.

Please help!

UPDATE - I've removed the QMI LTE interface as it was not functioning and its associated luci-proto-qmi package and instead installed the ModemManager packages and their dependencies manually and created a new LTE interface using it. This gives the router access to internet so I can successfully ping from the diagnostics screen. However, no network devices have internet access once I disconnect the mobile phone tethered to my PC.

You need to add qmi interface to firewall WAN zone.

Here's the "LTE" interface config:

...with it's firewall zone:

...and non-functional interface after a reboot:
Screenshot 2024-06-03 174036

I disabled the modemmanager interface labelled "lte".

Trying everything I could think of, I also configured devices for LAN2/LAN3/ phy0-ap0/ phy1-ap0/WWAN0 and created corresponding DHCP & DHCP6 interfaces in case that was needed... bearing in mind I've not a clue what I'm doing!

as @brada4 said, the 4G interface is in the wrong firewall zone.

Like this?
Screenshot 2024-06-03 175133

like that.

1 Like

It doesn't look to be active:
Screenshot 2024-06-03 175658

Here is the firewall setup:

Should I get rid of modemmanager interface and packages to simplify the situation?

don't touch the default firewall config, there's nothing wrong with it.

1 Like

I haven't changed anything in the firewall config.

As the QMI-lte interface isn't working, I'm going to try modemmanager again as I know that connects to LTE, but II presume the interface also needs to reside in the wan zone so have moved it there too.

Here's the config for the working modemmmanager interface:

What's puzzling is that QMI-lte using the same settings doesn't connect.
I've read that QMI-lte is much smaller than modemmanager so would prefer to use it.

Any idea what I've done wrong with QMI-lte?

Also, should I unconfigure the devices and delete corresponding interfaces I created for LAN2/LAN3/ phy0-ap0/ phy1-ap0/wwan0 or are they required?

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.