Zerotier menu missing

hello guys

i installed openwrt newly onto fritzbox 4020 router and the firmware i installed is the following
OpenWrt 19.07.5 r11257-5090152ae3 / LuCI openwrt-19.07 branch git-20.341.57626-51f55b5
i installed openvpn luci-app-openvpn to get the vpn menu but the zerotier menu is missing, although i installed it.

any help ?

There is no such thing as "zerotier menu", with luci-app-openvpn you get just OpenVPN menu, nothing more, nothing less.

Please see the following screenshot, it shows a zerotier menu

how do you setup zerotier without a menu?

This screenshot has nothing to do with OpenWrt.
You will need to configure zerotier manually.

1 Like

Have you used zerotier before?

The zerotier server will push IPs and routes to your router, so your local config file only needs to tell the client which network to join.

First go to my.zerotier.com and set up a private network. The network is identified by a randomly assigned 16 digit hex number which you will need to put in your routers.
Edit the /etc/config/zerotier file to just be this (using of course your network number instead of 123):

config zerotier 'any_name'
   option enabled '1'
   list join '0123456789ABCDEF'

then run service zerotier start, or in LuCi go to the services page and enable and start zerotier.
Next you need to go back to the Zerotier server and administer the network. You should see that your routers have checked in but are not authorized. Check the boxes to authorize them. Give them IP addresses on a "backbone" Zerotier link. This is usually a 192.168.X.0/24 which is not used by any of your LANs.

Back on OpenWrt you should have a new interface with a name that starts with 'zt'. You can place this interface in a firewall zone (as you trust all of your routers, you can use lan), and then forward through it.

2 Likes

thank you for the decription how to do it, i did not use zerotier before.
I want to use zerotier as an encrypted channel for telephony, which should have a reserved 20% of the available bandwidth of the network. A telephony application should run onto the router, and the registration should be per mobile app according to the design.

Do i need to setup 2 vlans for it? The approach how to do it, is appreciated.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.