ZBTlink Z8102AX RSSI levels

Hi All, Novice here.

I have an off the shelf ZBTLink Z8102AX which uses the MediaTec MT7981.

I am trying to get RSSI levels for connected wifi clients but the kernel config suggests the nl80211, cfg80211 and mac80211 have not been enabled.

# CONFIG_AF_RXRPC is not set
# CONFIG_AF_KCM is not set
CONFIG_FIB_RULES=y
CONFIG_WIRELESS=y
CONFIG_WIRELESS_EXT=y
CONFIG_WEXT_CORE=y
CONFIG_WEXT_PROC=y
CONFIG_WEXT_SPY=y
CONFIG_WEXT_PRIV=y
# CONFIG_CFG80211 is not set
# CONFIG_LIB80211 is not set
# CONFIG_LIB80211_CRYPT_WEP is not set
# CONFIG_LIB80211_CRYPT_CCMP is not set
# CONFIG_LIB80211_CRYPT_TKIP is not set

Tried to use the wifi extension WEXT but no RSSI levels

# iwpriv ra0 stat
ra0       stat:
CurrentTemperature              = 44
Tx success                      = 0
Tx fail count                   = 0, PER=0.0%
Current BW Tx count             = 0
Other BW Tx count               = 0
Rx success                      = 2091
Rx with CRC                     = 50801, PER=96.0%
Rx drop due to out of resource  = 21
Rssi: 0 0 0 0
CN Info:                                = 0
proxy arp enable              = 0
WNMNotify enable              = 0
WNM BSS Transition Management enable = 1
GAS come back delay                       = 0
GAS MMPDU size                            = 0
GAS enable                              = 1

I assume the MT7981 device firmware is not compatible with the wifi extensions.

I can not recompile OpenWRT or the kernel as the router is already setup with wifi passwords and secure keys.

OpenWrt details
Screenshot 2023-11-07 162550

Can I install the missing 80211 modules or is there another way to gain access to the client RSSI level from the MT7981 drivers.

This link suggest installing module but no info on how to do that:
https://superuser.com/questions/958889/nl80211-not-foundhow-resolve-this-error-in-openwrt

Any help greatly appreciated.

MPC.

It appears you are using firmware that is not from the official OpenWrt project.

When using forks/offshoots/vendor-specific builds that are "based on OpenWrt", there may be many differences compared to the official versions (hosted by OpenWrt.org). Some of these customizations may fundamentally change the way that OpenWrt works. You might need help from people with specific/specialized knowledge about the firmware you are using, so it is possible that advice you get here may not be useful.

You may find that the best options are:

1. Install an official version of OpenWrt, if your device is supported (see https://firmware-selector.openwrt.org).
  2. Ask for help from the maintainer(s) or user community of the specific firmware that you are using.
  3. Provide the source code for the firmware so that users on this forum can understand how your firmware works (OpenWrt forum users are volunteers, so somebody might look at the code if they have time and are interested in your issue).

If you believe that this specific issue is common to generic/official OpenWrt and/or the maintainers of your build have indicated as such, please feel free to clarify.

1 Like

Many Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.