ZBT WD323 Router Power Cycles every 30 seconds

Hi, My first question so please be kind, I have a zbt wd323 4G LTE router, it is an industrial bonding router , with the default software the router would power cycle once or twice a day which meant we lost internet access at those times, to "solve" this issue I upgraded the software through the Bleed Web interface with this Powered by LuCI openwrt-19.07 branch (git-20.247.75781-0d0ab01) / OpenWrt 19.07.4 r11208-ce6496d796

Now the router power cycles every 30 seconds so its unusable

What can I do to fix this ?

All help will be greatly appreciated.

This device probably uses a hardware watchdog timer similar to the one mentioned here.

1 Like

Yes you are correct it does use a Watchdog timer

So is there any way I can keep the router alive and stop the power cycles ?

The answer is there:

Make sure the GPIO number is the same then run a script that toggle that GPIO every second. You can probably get the ready to use script from the build system mentioned there.

1 Like

Thanks for your help, I read through the page you linked to but I fear I am none the wiser

I do not know what a GPIO number is or how to find it as I am a total newbi to Linux

Do I need to edit the 19.07.04 image file and if so can I do that in Notepad++ or some other program ?

Hi all, I have a ZBT WD323 ROUTER running on Openwrt image http://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/19.07.4/targets/ath79/generic/openwrt-19.07.4-ath79-generic-zbtlink_zbt-wd323-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

Every thing looked great initially then the router rebooted after 3 minutes then again and again and again , seems to be a Watchdog issue

Can anyone point me in the right direction as I really need to fix this problem today

@WD323, welcome to the community!

You were already told (it's usually poor taste in forums to ignore the reply; or even make another thread - simply because you don't know what the poster meant):

It's nothing Linux-specific as it's not software. It's a hardware feature on circuit boards. Hope this helps. Also, feel free to ask if you don't know.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow: You cannot use a text editor to alter a binary file (and in general circumstances, a binary file cannot be edited, even with the appropriate software). You'd have to build the working solution into a custom firmware and/or have a big fix completed - so it makes it to the official firmware.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies guys so am I correct in thinking I have a hardware issue and not a software issue ?

Check the output:

ubus call system watchdog

See also:
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/hardware/watchdog

If you want to term it a hardware "issue" - then sure. I think the quote above is a better description. Nonetheless, the solution can be solved in software.

2 Likes

Guys thanks again, at least now I am heading in the right direction, I have Filezilla and Putty installed on my Windows 10 PC so how do I access the ubus call system watchdog ?

Is " ubus call system watchdog" a file that I can edit and if so how can I