Your recommendations please for best 2020 routers which support OpenWrt

Hello guys,

I hope you recommend me the best and the latest router model in 2020 which support Openwrt and 5ghz.

Thank you all.

This is definitely a self build x86_64 system with standard pc components.

There is no other device with such flexibility, processing power and upgrade ability.
But this is also one with the biggest size, most expensive and most work to get it up and running.

So if you haven't such restrictions there is no better choice!

hello,

the question is lacking depth, would need to know your use-case for what best is?
most any router will have 5GHz, but what kind of features for that.

what other features do you need, usb ports, esata port, removable antennas, how much ram and internal storage.

tho i would agree with @juppin.
i often take a used, old, slow computer and retrofit for a different purpose.
for an extra ethernet port, you can get a pci card for $15.00.

Before asking on the forum: Please think about your requirements and provide answers to these questions. (We're going to ask them anyway, so save everyone time by doing this first. Thanks.)

Hi
Thanks guys for your nice responses.

Regarding tmomas response: I would like to inform you that you are right in what you wrote, but Openwrt is open source software in English and I am not fluent in English and I am using google translate now to write this response.

Also, I have been a supporter of open source software for many years and I think that one of the problems that open source programs face is the beautiful, attractive and easy graphical interface used by commercial programs and websites.

I have tried to make the most of the website, but the site is not easy in terms of access to information.

I hope you will see this and understand my point of view
I repeat my thanks and apologies as well

Greetings to all of you.

Please follow the link posted by tmomas, and answer the questions on that page.
Post the answers here, and we will be able to give you better advice.

• How fast is your internet connection? Up to 500 Mbps

• Do you need Wi-Fi? Yes, both 2.4GHz and 5GHz

• Do you need Gigabit Ethernet? Yes, 4 ports are OK.

• Do you need USB ports? Not necessary

• How many family members/devices must the router support? I hope it can handle up to 20 devices at the same time. I will use it in my company.

• What other services do you want? VPN

• Finally, please define your price range. Up to 300 USD.

I prefer a new model device like 2020 (just to feel good) and to insure it will recieve updates for long time.

Thank you all

Iā€™m not aware of any AX devices that are supported - a wave 2 wifi 5 (wireless AC) device would satisfy your requirements. If you are looking for an all in one - something like a netgear r7800 is popular, well supported, and will accomplish all your requirements.

If you are ok with tinkering and want top performance - a x86 device offers the most power.

1 Like