XR500, ath10k drivers, and dropped frames on a cheap IP camera

Hi sorry to here that.
What you could try now is go back to a older build to see if it is a new thing. You said you are running a master build.

Interesting github thread on Frigate and stuttering -

It's possible the Broadcom wireless driver handles the I/O better than the ath10k driver.

The ath10k drivers are known to be problematic on some devices.

There is also a ct-smallbuffers driver (I use it with no issues) that you could try.

To go from CT to CT-smallbuffers -

opkg remove kmod-ath10k-ct
opkg update && opkg install kmod-ath10k-ct-smallbuffers

Snapshots are the only builds available for the XR500.

OK try this one. https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/22.03-SNAPSHOT/targets/

I have installed numerous nightly snapshots over the last few weeks trying to diagnose this issue without any success. I've also tried all the variations of the firmware - mainline, ct, ct-htt, as well as the two ct kmods (ct and ct-smallbuffers). None of which have mitigated the issue.

As I mentioned in my original post, the mainline firmware seems to be the least problematic. This is why I wondered if there were any firmware gurus that might have any idea of tweaks I could make. I figured since the XR500 is basically the same hardware as the R7800 that someone else may have run across a similar issue before.

When you get some time, watch this video...

13:31 to 18:01 - What's wrong with ath10k

1 Like

Same issue with the WIFI specifically the 2.4ghz with my Newifi d2 with mt7621 chipset. TPLink Tapo C200 camera is connected on 2.4ghz and I can't stream it smoothly even though speed looks normal but when I use the other router, everything went smoothly.

I discovered that the cheap IP cameras I was using were pretty particular to a specific 2.4g wifi channel (1, 6, or 11 and nothing else for some reason). I went back to my old Asus ddwrt router to test the theory, and determined that the problem wasn't with anything on openwrt at all.

Have you tried changing your 2.4g channel?

Already tried all the channels but still failed to stream my IP cam smoothly so I ended up using other router instead. I guess on my part, it's the wifi of Newifi has the issue maybe it's the compatibility issue with the Tapo Cam. Still, thanks.