Xiaomi mi wifi 3 support

@moriel5 how do you switch from open-wrt to x-wrt? Which files do i need from https://downloads.x-wrt.com/rom/ ?

• x-wrt-5.0-b201903191526-ramips-mt7620-xiaomi_miwifi-r3-squashfs-breed-factory.bin
  • x-wrt-5.0-b201903191526-ramips-mt7620-xiaomi_miwifi-r3-squashfs-kernel1.bin
  • x-wrt-5.0-b201903191526-ramips-mt7620-xiaomi_miwifi-r3-squashfs-rootfs0.bin
  • x-wrt-5.0-b201903191526-ramips-mt7620-xiaomi_miwifi-r3-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
1 Like

Does X-WRT offer full speeds on Wifi? Which file did you exactly flash?
I am on PandoraBox as of now, how can I switch?

Hello guys finally I could unbrick mi router 3 from the dead, I ask a friend that have a nand programmer and I finally recover mi router 3 ( mir3 ) from brick mode.
I didnt need to do the spi fix because I realize that I have a nand and not doing anything with it, i thouth why not try to burn the nand from stock, with a bin I found.
And it works, my router is back from the dead.
Next thing is try to get ssh from the new version 10.46
Thanks to all .

@moriel5 - How can I write your firmware x-wrt from stock? Do you have any walkthrough for doing safely? I don't want to brick mi router 3 again.
Thanks
ps. sorry for my english

Sorry everyone, I wasn't at home the past few days (real life priorities), and the local DSLAM had crashed during that time.

From my experience, as comfortable as it is to move directly from PandoraBox to X-Wrt, it's not a good idea, due to the partition layout differences.

My recommendation is to flash the "breed-factory" img from stock, by sending the command: `mtd write bootloader **.img" (replace the ** with the filename), after unlocking the bootloader according to the instructions on the OpenWrt page.
There are also instructions there for returning to stock from PandoraBox.

Hopefully the Mi 3 will be again officially supported by OpenWrt soon, and then we wont have to use any forks.

1 Like

no, don't use breed-factory.bin

1. first revert to stock firmware.
  2. install x-wrt from stock
          nvram set flag_last_success=1
          nvram set boot_wait=on
          nvram set uart_en=1
          nvram commit
          mtd write xxxxx-kernel1.bin kernel1
          mtd write xxxxx-rootfs0.bin rootfs0
          reboot
1 Like

Thanks, I'll change my setup accordingly.
But what is the issue with using the breed image?

@moriel5 can you provide any guide how to switch from open-wrt to x-wrt? Do I need to flash to stock? Or just do "sysupgrade x-wrt-5.0-xxxxx-ramips-mt7620-xiaomi_miwifi-r3-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin"
Is it safe to go from open-wrt to x-wrt and vice versa (in the future when the bug is solved in open-wrt)?

Doesn't x-wrt have an own forum where x-wrt installation can be discussed?
Or a documentation website where the x-wrt installation is described?

@moriel5 Does X-WRT offer full speeds on Wifi? Which file did you exactly flash?
I am on PandoraBox as of now, how can I switch?
Also, when was Mi Router 3 ever officially supported by OpenWRT? Did it offer full speeds on WiFi?

@ptpt52 Do you have a link to the exact stock firmware file you used?

Sorry, I do not know the answer to those questions yet, since I had not had OpenWrt on my Mi 3 yet (I will once it will be officially supported and stabilized, though).
I went directly from PandoraBox using the breed image, which is why I do not recommend doing so (it works, but due to the different filesystems, not everything as it should be, such as the PandoraBox recovery remaining, preventing proper upgrades, etc.).

If they do, it must be in chinese, and I did not find any such forum.
As for documentation, they have a sort of blog in chinese (I used Bing translate to read the contents), and while it seems to have relative basic competence, it only covers a few subjects, such as using a VPN. I had to rely on OpenWrt documentation and my own knowledge to set it up.

I'll check when I have the time, my ISP only provides us ~40Mbts (up from ~32Mbts due to mismatched settings between my ISP and their provider), so I'll have to find time to use scp or ftp between my desktop and laptop.

As for switching from PandoraBox, my recommendation is first going back to stock, and only then flashing X-Wrt.

The Mi 3 was supported by OpenWrt about 1.5-2 years ago on the SNAPSHOT builds, but lack of a NAND driver was one of the main things that prevented it from being supported (I've been reading about OpenWrt when I had the time, since about 3 years ago).

You'll find the image on x-wrt.com, they update it every day (since it is basically OpenWrt SNAPSHOT with their kernel.

1 Like

OK, good to know.

Thanks for your feedback!

hi, my mi r3 dont ON leds anymore, im trying to Hard reset on it but he me show an error on firstboot, later in a frustrant try to recovery, i put one power suply of 24v 1.2 A, and now im confuse if was The power suply or The try to recovery.

I did spi mod and flashed full dump from 4pda. Now I have Russian padavan firmware on it any easy way to go to openwrt? Tftp?

hey everyone..
so i tried going back to stock from pandorabox..
i followed instruction till:
cd /tmp
mtd write Bootloader.bin Bootloader
mtd write kernel0.bin kernel0_rsvd
reboot
but after reboot i got constant orange light and serial output looks like this:

i used the same usb>serial converter before on my router this time i dont know whats wrong(its a pl2303ta)..
any ideas?

Check you contacts, that looks a lot like a loose GND connection.

Here is what I did (because I tried using PandoraBox before I flashed openwrt):

1. Download Breed for MiWiFi Mini and put it in /tmp/ (I use WinSCP for this)

2. Flash from SSH:
    cd /tmp/
    mtd write breed-mt7620-xiaomi-mini.bin Bootloader

3. Power off the router

4. Press and hold the reset button and power on the router, you will enter Breed mode

5. Go to http://192.168.1.1/

6. Go to the second tab, check the middle one with chinese letters, it should look like this:

7. Choose your MiWiFi mini openwrt image (I'm using SNAPSHOT for now), and flash it. The router should then reboot to openwrt.

The one thing that I like from Breed is that I can modify the included MAC address back to my original one.

You can translate the Breed bootloader to English using this chrome extension or this tampermonkey/greasemonkey script.

1 Like

pffff...
after some fiddling around now im on x-wrt ...
how ever some stuff like startup tab or software tab are missing from luci anyway to get them back?