Xiaomi mi wifi 3 support

typo, it is xxx.tar

no, I don’t have any breed file
and it is clear that no breed for mir3 for now.

@ptpt52 thank you very much. it worked!!!
in completely other news: I bought this router because I wanted to experiment with mesh networks and I now saw that there is no "software" menu in the natcap build. Is there a way to build you natcap build but with additional software (kmod-batman-adv, batctl)? Or maybe just those two packages so that i can install them on your build?

then you have to build it from source and choose what you need

Has anyone had a stable experience with recent builds?

Man I've been gone for so long. Got assigned to a case and finally closed it and can get back to this after forever.

So I read most of this already. Awesome that we have firmware to get it working. I have yet to flash over ptpt52's build for a reason.

What exactly is missing from it and the usual OpenWRT builds. Like, does luci have the same tabs as a regular flashed openwrt router?
Is it missing something?

How would I go about custom compiling it for this router chip-set if I wanted the native openwrt source with all the fixes to make this a stable router?

Sorry for all the questions, everyone. I'm super glad that this project has not been abandoned.

1 Like

Alright.
I did "git clone https://github.com/ptpt52/openwrt-openwrt.git"
and did "openwrt-openwrt/scripts/feeds update -a"
then "openwrt-openwrt/scripts/feeds install -a"
with no issues or errors.
Then I did "make menuconfig"
I followed the instructions from https://github.com/ptpt52/lede-source/issues/1
and couldn't find where to disable KERNEL_KALLSYMS in there...
Everything else I could set except "disable KERNEL_KALLSYMS"

I'm compiling it now, though. Not sure if I should flash it over yet until I get some kind of confirmation.

1 Like

Did anyone try installing packetfence hostepad on the xiaomi router 3?

I've never used lede before but followed the various howtos to install @ptp52's natcap and it went very smoothly, thanks for all your efforts!

I'm using the Mi3 to extend the wifi reach of my Fritzbox (on the other side of the house) using LAN to link them (rather than using wifi extending); I modified the bridge config as per the LEDE wiki to add the WAN port to the main lan bridge and that also works so the unit now effectlvely has 3 lan ports. All very smooth and far easier than I expected.

Only thing I've found that's odd so far is that if I run a test to speedtest.net the download gives me about 13Mbps; if I then connect to my main router I get (as I would normally expect) about 70Mbps. Then reconnecting to the mi3 also gives me 70Mbps.

This has been repeatable - as if the connection goes off after a while, reconnecting seems to spring it back into life.

Is this something other people have seen?

Ta!

1 Like

well, I compiled from source and it is working lovely =D

You can share it for everyone to try

Today I tried to flash my third mi wifi 3. just like the other two which worked flawlessly. After copying the kernel and rootfs to /tmp I already had the command to flash those copy-pasted. Sadly the "reboot" command was part of that block of code. so kernel0 worked, rootfs failed and then reboot

Now the Router loops with a reg/orange LED, blinks once, then reboots again (total time approx 7s). Seems I bricked it.
I tried the miwifi.bin on a fat32 USB stick method, doesnt work. no change :frowning:

Anyone got an idea what I can do to resurrect it?

Connect serial,

press 4 to acces uboot console, change flag_try_sys2_failed to 1 by
setenv flag_try_sys2_failed 1
check wheter it is modified with
printenv

if its good then commit this
saveenv

if it was successfully saved then pull out the power and replug. If you stay inside serial console then you will see that it will try to boot both rootfs without succes so it will bootup kernel0 with usb recovery then insert usb with miwifi.bin then press eset until led is changed to orange.

I've did exactly same thing yesterday... A friend of mine flashed a mir3g fw to his r3. -.-
434577_img_20180607_200904

Wait kernel0??? you flashed kernel1.bin to kernel0 partition? that was a big mistake... if you do you have to find a working kernel0 then flash it via tftp in uboot.

Sorry, that was a typo. I flashed kernel1.bin
I'll try to follow your instructions as soon as I find the serial converter and some cables.
Thanks you.

I'll do that sometime later tonight. It's nothing special but it DOES have the software tab and a few pieces of software pre-installed that I normally use.

Scratch that last statement. I can't get openvpn to work properly to save my life.
It connects, but keeps giving me tun errors.
System log says:
daemon.err openvpn(VPN_SFCA)[3054]: write to TUN/TAP : Invalid argument (code=22)

I'm using the exact same configuration as my other router and openvpn works perfectly fine on there with no errors.
I've failed to find any resolution to it online as all searches have come up non related to my incident.

I would like to know if it is possible to install packages in the original firmware.
I gained SSH / ROOT access using this method:

Now I would like to know how to install the packages.

You, sir, are a hero. Flashing back the original firmware worked!
but now I run back into the error that led to my bricking:

root@XiaoQiang:/tmp# nvram set flag_last_success=1
root@XiaoQiang:/tmp# nvram set boot_wait=on
root@XiaoQiang:/tmp# nvram set uart_en=1
root@XiaoQiang:/tmp# nvram commit
root@XiaoQiang:/tmp# mtd write kernel1.bin kernel1
Unlocking kernel1 ...

Writing from kernel1.bin to kernel1 ...     
root@XiaoQiang:/tmp# mtd write rootfs0.bin rootfs0
Unlocking rootfs0 ...         

Writing from rootfs0.bin to rootfs0 ...  [e]Failed to erase block

I tried different rootfs0.bin files but all showed the same problem and threw the same error.
What could i try next?

Well.. I have no idea why the rootfs0.bin i used on the other 2 routers didnt work on number 3. But I tried my own build of @ptpt52 's sources and that kernel+rootfs worked!
Again: @HeadLess thank you very much

Okay, here is my customized build using ptpt52's github clone.
Let me know what you guys think. It definitely needs more work but it has everything I use built in... The possibilities are just about endless.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1hrdSu96NzGc5Gz1_gN9Xjbr-9fnrfgaI?usp=sharing

I've included the sysupgrade tar(which works if you already have it installed), and the individual .bin's to flash for first timers.

I've included a README.txt file with information on the build and a INSTRUCTIONS.txt file roughly put together from other sources for first timers just for the sake of having it all together.
README.txt includes the wifi names, wifi passwords and configs along with other details.

6 Likes

Thank a lof for your INSTRUCTIONS.txt - this is very helpful for new people who are joining the community. For us who are OpenWrt experts it is easy thing to forget that we need also to enable new people to join our community and to make first steps easier for them.

1 Like