Xiaomi Mi Router 4A Gigabit Edition (R4AG/R4A Gigabit) -- fully supported and flashable with OpenWRTInvasion

If it's setup was an AP than it won't work. It needs to be on router mode to work.

2 Likes

It worked! I did get root access via telnet now.

So for future users of OpenWRTInvasion. You need to:

• use the same host to retrieve stok token and to run the exploit
  • make sure that the device is set to router mode
5 Likes

Do share your experience too in comparison to stock.

1 Like

same as my test.
Zorro build wifi speed faster. But still consider about their patch source. Still no answer.!?

Could you share your Zorro's test results ? I would like to compare to Byte's build to see the speed differences

Within the last 10 days, the connection problems in the mt76-drivers have been solved according to this post and the peak-performance shall now be better than the performance of the proprietary drivers.
Time for a new build.

2 Likes

Hi, hoddy, did you figure out how to enable the stock firmware's telnet from boot?

I think the stock firmware is built on OpenWrt or at least its definitely Linux so if you wanted to, after you ran the exploit you would need to create a script in /etc/init.d to start telnet. It's not something I need because I don't run the stock firmware, in the comment mentioned I was just explaining that the exploit is only designed to run telnet as a "one shot" as most likely you would only need it the once (until you have replaced the firmware with OpenWrt which runs SSH from boot by default).

Great news,let us know how you get on!

Yeah, i did some research. One says that i need to edit /etc/xinetd.d/telnet file, but there's no such file....
I didn't find any command that could enable telnet server.

Bear in mind that telnet is really insecure.

Simplest way would be to launch telnetd from /etc/rc.local. xinetd is typically on big systems.

1 Like

There are quite a few ways to get a service to start at boot but as @mk24 says this is really not a great idea to leave it running. As well as the software being generally insecure, chances are it's not been updated as it's non-essential and I can't tell you how its set up to run on the stock firmware, e.g for all I know they could have left an external port open for telnet if running for testing, you'd have to check all these things because Stock is undocumented. OpenWrt on the other hand is, and we know how that works out of the box (which is the reason a lot of people choose it).

Yeah, i know that the custom openwrt is much better, but the WiFi is really unstable.

What commands should i add? I tried many commands but none of them worked.

Personally, mine is very stable now, some of the newer images have ironed out a lot of problems. Also, I haven't tried anything this new yet but:

Stable? When I use it as a WiFi repeater the speed goes up to 150mb for few seconds, then drops to 20mb and again up to 150mb...
What firmware are you using? Thanks.

Currently, I'm using 19.07.3 r11063-85e04e9f46, but I'd suggest the build by @Byte that's what I'm going to move to in the next few days. Comparison to stock:

Why is iperf so stable while speedtest.net isn't?
Did you run a speed test with speedtest.net? As wireless repeater?

Hi.

Has anyone tried to buld stable release 19.07.3 but changing mt76 (open-source) driver to master version? I've been planing to try that soon, but haven't had the time, was wondering if it would work (since the master version is using a different kernel, and it may not even compile...)

I used to do that in the past for an older router, but since the openwrt master started using kernel 5, got so unstable and lots of things changed, I just stopped trying...

Best regards.

1 Like

Speedtest.net is not a test of your wireless speed only, its a test of your overall speed to the internet as a whole (which is very common to fluctuate over time). Iperf tells you exactly how the wireless (or wired) is performing. Testing with Speedtest.net only, could show a wifi issue but, (and probably more likely) it would also show fluctuations in speed from your ISP.