Xiaomi Mi Router 4A Gigabit Edition (R4AG/R4A Gigabit) -- fully supported and flashable with OpenWRTInvasion

Just got the router and trying to flash openwrt coming from stock firmware. What Firmware should I flash for this router? It tells me "Not recommend to use snapshot build, new kernel may cause many problems" but I can only find Snapshot builds listed.

Hey all.
Is there any way to flash pepe2k's u-boot on this router?

At this moment u-boot_mod exclusively covers some ar71xx/ ath79 devices, it does not cover mt7621. While anything is possible, serious porting work would be needed to support the ramips targets - which I wouldn't consider to be that likely at this point.

Thanks for your reply.
This bootloader is pre-installed on my gl-inet mt300n-v2. Which is an mt7628 based very simple travel router.
I think the manufacturer has shared their source code in the relevant link below. Does it help us somehow? I mean a baby step maybe.

Sure, but don't expect it to be a walk in the park.

Hi @ulpian

Why don't you try @db260179 u-boot mod?

Juliano

Hey @julianocs
That's news to me! I'll take a look right now. Thank you.

Tried to install OpenWRT on my Mi 4A Gigabit but it didn't work. Attempting to debrick the router now, though it isn't working for some reason (the guides weren't really helpful when it comes to troubleshooting).
What do you think is the issue? What am I doing wrong here? I get the output below.

3:26:46 PM DHCPc:discovering for another DHCPd on LAN
3:26:46 PM ROOT=G:\router\TinyPXE\New folder\
3:26:46 PM DHCPd 192.168.1.2:67 started...
3:26:46 PM TFPTd 192.168.1.2:69 started...
3:26:49 PM DHCPd:DISCOVER received, MAC:00-00-AA-BB-CC-DD, XID:F639DDEE
3:26:50 PM DHCPd:OFFER sent, IP:192.168.1.3, XID:F639DDEE
3:26:50 PM DHCPd:REQUEST received, MAC:00-00-AA-BB-CC-DD, XID:F639DDEE
3:26:50 PM DHCPd:ACK sent, IP:192.168.1.3, XID:F639DDEE

I sometimes get 3:26:52 PM DHCPc:another DHCPd detected on your LAN @ 192.168.1.2.

thank you sir

21.02 RC2 is released
https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/21.02.0-rc2/

2 Likes

Probably next 2 months they will finalized it to official right?

To be honest, I'm not sure about this. Sorry.

Hey all.

While browsing GitHub yesterday I found this interesting project. You can build a custom firmware on GitHub with this. Did you know there was such a thing? Or is it something new?

So anyway I compiled a custom firmware with using this project today. I just slightly modified the workflow files to use the official openwrt repository. And added my own .config file with my other custom files (/files/etc/config) It worked as expected. Custom fw is working great so far.
Tbh as a mac user compiling a custom openwrt build has always been challenging for me but I think I've found an easier way lol
I recommend you take a look if you are having problems with your build environment (docker, vm etc.)

Hi, can anyone help me troubleshoot my debricking process? No matter what I do, I can't seem to be getting test.bin file read by the router. I heard that it is easier to do on Linux but I don't know how, so I have been trying to get it to work on a Windows 7 system that boots off a USB stick. How can I debrick it on Linux?

1 Like

in addition to hernjc you saved my router thank you

Flashed 21.02.0-rc2 with preserved config sysupgrade.

The issues I mentioned on this:

Seems like it was solved on the latest 21.02 release candidate.

Oh, btw you can also preserve your config if you have no time to reconfigure. After flashed & restore your config, you should go to [Interface] on luci & click migrate config to upgrade your current config to DSA compatible one.

Just flashed 21.02-rc2 and something with the switching is wrong. I have a 4 lines ethernet cable and somehow the router negotiates a 1Gbps full duplex link with it!?

Had to issue ethtool -s wan speed 100 duplex full autoneg off to get it working.

Also the speed is horrible. With a symmetric link of 100Mbps I get only about 30Mbps (up and down).

2 Likes

I am a bit confused, does this RC2 fully support DSA on this router now?
And even reports proper physical port speed?
EDIT:
I meant in Luci of course.

EDIT:
So this router being in testing anyway I went ahead and upgraded to RC2.
VLAN configuration is still impossible.
Interface speeds are not reported anywhere in Luci.
There is an option (didn't test it) to isolate each individual port.
I suppose its implemented using vlans?

Wow did they fixed the speed drop? I'll try it

Hello everybody,
I am very new to this. So, I managed to brick my new Xiaomi 4A 100m Router.
Now I am stuck at debricking it again. All attempts to flash the newest manufacture firmware 2.18.58 not succeeded.

That is what I observed so far:

At the beginning the left LED is flashing yellow about a minute, then switches to blue and keep flashing blue all the time.
Tiny PXE Server stays at this state:
Screenshot (49)

I get no access through 192.168.31.1 or router.miwifi.com.
No basic gateway is listed in details of the LAN port. Yes, I always switch back afterwards to obtain ip automatically.
Alter I unplug the power connection for a short time the left LED is yellow again and I still can’t access the router.
After restart the LAN-connection to my pc is cutted. To restore it I need to push and hold the reset button.

Should I try to flash a firmware below 2.18.58? Make that sense to you? Could then somebody please provide me an older firmware?

Is @hoddy’s guide still a good way to go? Or should I try another guide?
What else can I try to debrick my Xiaomi Router?

Thank you so much for all this here. I hope someone can help me.