Xiaomi AX3600 not reachable anymore after reboot

A strange thing happened. I was using my router with a snapshot of OpenWRT for 4 months.

I have not changed settings nor updated any package or snapshot for these 4 months, everything was working nicely, then yesterday the WiFi schedule did not turn off the WiFi as it should have at a certain time. So I entered the admin panel, checked the settings, everything was ok.

I manually disabled WiFi, went to bed. This morning entered the admin panel again, enabled WiFi.

To find out why WiFi scheduling failed this time, I decided to reboot router from the Luci interface, just in case. I clicked reboot, saw the message "waiting for reboot" and detached the LAN cable while the router was rebooting.

After this, my AX3600 is no longer reachable via LAN, WiFi is off, SSH can't connect as my PC does not see a valid IPv4 address. I only see a IPv6 address on my Settings page (Fedora GNOME).

So I can't access Luci, nor I can't use SSH. I tried to click the reset button, the router rebooted but nothing changed.

Do I have to use TFTP recovery method or is there a way to access it using IPv6?

The issue was caused by not updating packages & firmware for a while OR by detaching LAN cable after the reboot command was issued?

restart your pc and test ...

I restarted my computer, tried accessing the router via linux and via win11, still it says Ethernet detected but not connected.

Try assigning a static ip address to your pc within the range that your router has

test:

assign ip to pc 192.168.31.100 netmask 255.255.255.0

and

ping 192.168.31.1

did you try both failsafe and reset?

Ok I came back to this router, after a while.

Now that Xiaomi AX3600 is officially supported I want to revive it and reinstall official OpenWRT, not the snapshot anymore. I am ok losing my previous settings.

I did as you and @Smim0 suggested:

I get

[user@pc ~]$ ping 192.168.31.1
PING 192.168.31.1 (192.168.31.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
From 192.168.31.100 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable
From 192.168.31.100 icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable
From 192.168.31.100 icmp_seq=3 Destination Host Unreachable
From 192.168.31.100 icmp_seq=4 Destination Host Unreachable

If I ssh into gateway address, I get

[user@pc ~]$ ssh root@192.168.31.1
ssh: connect to host 192.168.31.1 port 22: No route to host

Power led is orange when booting, then turns blue. I tried etherner port 1,2,3 and WAN. All blinks except port 1.

TFTP is duable if I can't establish a connection with the router?

after setting an IP address on the PC,
you will have to install a tftp and dhcp server on your PC,
download the firmware image you want to load onto the router from the internet onto your PC
and then press the reset button on the router

the step by step instructions are those of the link:

1 Like

Yes it worked.

However I get an error when flashing openwrt. Months ago when I flashed the snapshot I managed to do that, but now I get this:

root@XiaoQiang:~# ubiformat /dev/mtd13 -y -f /tmp/openwrt-23.05.2-ipq807x-generic-xi
aomi_ax3600-initramfs-factory.ubi -s 2048 -O 2048 && nvram set flag_boot_rootfs=1 &&
 nvram set flag_last_success=1 && nvram commit
ubiformat: mtd13 (nand), size 37486592 bytes (35.7 MiB), 286 eraseblocks of 131072 bytes (128.0 KiB), min. I/O size 2048 bytes
libscan: scanning eraseblock 285 -- 100 % complete  
ubiformat: 216 eraseblocks have valid erase counter, mean value is 0
ubiformat: 70 eraseblocks are supposedly empty
ubiformat: warning!: only 216 of 286 eraseblocks have valid erase counter
ubiformat: mean erase counter 0 will be used for the rest of eraseblock
ubiformat: use erase counter 0 for all eraseblocks
ubiformat: error!: cannot open "/tmp/openwrt-23.05.2-ipq807x-generic-xiaomi_ax3600-initramfs-factory.ubi"
           error 2 (No such file or directory)

I am following instructions carefully and I managed to obtain SSH into Xiaomi interface... but then I get that error (I checked the root positition also, as per instructions)

Looks like you didn't manage to transfer the file openwrt-23.05.2-ipq807x-generic-xiaomi_ax3600-initramfs-factory.ubi into /tmp directory.

But it's there lol

Well, I misunderstood the instructions and copied the firmware to my laptop /tmp directory :sweat_smile:

The instructions should clarify that part and maybe insert the command:

scp -O '/locationofthedownloadedfirmwareonyourpc/openwrt-23.05.2-ipq807x-generic-xiaomi_ax3600-initramfs-factory.ubi' root@192.168.31.1:/tmp
1 Like

instruction slightly modified.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.