Xiaomi AX3600 INT firmware

Wow thank you. The showstopper to me going OpenWRT was the apparent need to compile the firmware/image myself. With this provided I'll continue with the guide and your outlined steps.

BTW, this is to EVERYONE: Don't go bothering the providers of the image I linked with every little problem that crops up. It's an ALPHA that really happens to work well.

If you do (bother them), they might remove it from public faster than you can blink.

Wait for the official release to complain.

For now, there's one problem I'm aware of: Memory leak on wireless (ath11k) driver.

My current workaround is to reboot every 8 hours. That takes ~15 seconds. I reboot at 4, 12, and 20 hours locally, I'm asleep at 04:00, at lunch at 12:00 and at dinner at 20:00.

If you have high bandwidth wireless traffic occurring naturally, you probably won't need this, because high bandwidth traffic on a wireless interface seems to clean up the memory, about 100MB worth.

This is the second option I'm aware of: Keep "iperf3 --server" running on the router and do "iperf3 --client YourRoutersIp --time 10" on a WIRELESS client every couple of hours. It won't do anything on a wired client.

By the time the official release is published I'm sure this will be handled. Right now, this is my solution.

1 Like

Bye bye stock firmware, OpenWrt lives! I followed the steps in the device page (and applied common sense) and it all went well. Thanks again.

I'm also pretty sure I'm not the only one who hates setting (and updating) static DHCP leases :angry:

1 Like

Welcome to the better (if somewhat immodest) community!

I hope you like it as much as I do!

1 Like

Is it possible to have also the full chinese txpower with openwrt?

Yes, that is possible.

On the OpenWRT GUI there is a setting in
Network/Wireless/YourWirelessNetworkName/Edit/Device Configuration/Advanced Settings/Country Code

This setting is in the setup for each wireless network, but can only be configured once for each of the three radios (nac, nacax, bgnax). I you have multiple wireless networks on the same radio a change in any one of them will affect all others on the same radio.

Be sure to select the country you live in. If you exceed regulatory limits fines can be very high. Think new middle class car ranges.

Which ever country you are in, power limits, frequency ranges and bandwith limits will likely be much broader than the preselected value "driver default", which seems to be the lowest common denominator of all regulatory domains.

In my home setting I have observed that allmost all stations in the surrounding area seem to be bunched up on band 36 in the 5GHz spectrum. I guess nobody bothers set their country code no matter what device they use. Everything else is only very lightly used.

Without much interference from other devices, ranges and data rates and connection stablilty are very good in my location without going outside the legal limits.

1 Like

Can somebody help me how I can get back to stock int 3022 firmware from openwrt?

To get back to stock, you need to locate a stock image. There is a link a previous post by @itay:
Xiaomi AX3600 INT firmware - #100 by itay

Then follow the instructions in "TFTP recovery" on the device's Wiki:
https://openwrt.org/inbox/toh/xiaomi/xiaomi_ax3600#tftp_recovery

Don't know what happend these days.. but the 2,4 GHz band is not working propertly, neither in stock nor in the Openwrt... its SSID appears for a second and disconnect for a very long time..

Did it happen to any of you?

A thing I saw in this router is the division between WAN and LAN, with two subnets.. I would like to join them in the same subnet "192.168.0.x" All the original router ethernet devices and Wifi clients. With the original firmware I couldn't even ping the devices separated by the two subnets

In Network/Interfaces, tab Interfaces, WAN -> Edit, tab "General Settings", Device: Set to "unspecified" = remove "eth0". Do the same with interface WAN6.

In Network/Interfaces, tab Devices, br-lan -> Configure, tab "General device options", "Bridge ports": Add device "eth0".

In Network/Wireless use button "Add" or "Edit" for existing devices, set up as appropriate and in "Interface Configuration", Network: Select "LAN". Do this for all wireless networks you have defined or want to define.

Network/Interfaces, tab Interfaces, LAN -> Edit, tab "General Settings" set Protocol to "static address" and then set the address to 192.168.0.1. In the tab DHCP Server check to see it it is enabled (it is by default).

That should be it, all wired an wireless devices in one subnet.

Maybe you want to make a backup before doing this.

About the problems with the 2.4G radio: I have no idea what that could be, I have three AX3600 devices, all radios on these work fine.

Thanks

About the 2,4 Ghz.. That's what happens. I'm afraid it's a hardware stuff.. It worked properly for several months but now... Even if I change the firmware... "radio 2" is failing

Something extremely extrange happened...

After one week trying to figure out why the 2,4 band was not working... I came to another home to dissasembly the router (I thought maybe a capacitator broken or any of these stuff...)

And now suddently it works (without unscrewing a single screw)

I am stunned, but happy :slight_smile:
What do you think.. maybe static electricity?

It happened to me when I did not set a country code. Your case is strange indeed.

I did observe some strange behaviour on the first AX3600 I bought initially, but never again after I set the country code: On one of the radios I was offered frequency selections that simply didn't come online if selected. The button "Enable/Disable" on the right was showing "Disable" so it seems to have "thought" it was on, but the connectivity icon on the left showed disabled. This was some time ago and I don't recall which radio was involved and which frequencies didn't work.

Thanks @rid for mentioning this possibility, I had all but forgotten about it. This might be a legitimate bug, but for a bug report some more research would be required to make it reproducible.

Did you set China or your genuine country? In my case when I press "scan" in the adapter, 0 ssid were displayed...

It takes a while for the scan results to show up. Radio 1 and radio 2 scan a lot faster than radio 0 on all of my devices.

I use the county I'm in. In my vicinity there are plenty of frequencies that hardly anyone uses (at least no one close enough to pick them up on scans).

You can get good bandwidth and decent range as long as you're not on the same channels as everybody else. You might want to check different locations too, because you might not be able to pick up all signals in every part of your house. Just select the channels with the least average interference everywhere you might want to put a client.

Now i have eth0 to eth4 in the same subnet... but I can't ping (or connect) between the clients conected to the ISP router and the devices connected to the AX3600

i wnat them to connect as if they were part from the same subnet (they are)

Yes, the procedure I posted above only connects all the things on the AX3600 together.

Your ISP router probably provides DHCP. If it does, you can add an interface in Network/Interfaces, tab Interfaces, button "Add new interface". Give it an appropriate name, e.g. "MGMT" because this interface will be used for management. For "Protocol" stick with "DHCP client". As "Device" select "br-lan". On the interface "LAN", click "Edit" and in the tab "DHCP Server" check the "Ignore interface" checkbox. Go to the "Firewall Settings" tab and select "unspecified" in "Create / Assign firewall-zone". Go to the "General Settings" tab and select "Protocol" "Unmanaged". Click "Save". Go back to Network/Interfaces tab Interfaces and click "Save & Apply".

Unless you have already done so, connect any of the AX3600 ports to any of the ISP router's client ports.

On the ISP router check which IP address the DHCP server gave your management interface and connect to it. Unless you are able to make a connection to the AX3600 on this address within 90 seconds the changes will be rolled back to the previous configuration.

What this does is create a "dumb" access point than only connects all the devices to the "main" (e.g. ISP router). This main router will handle all DHCP, DNS etc, so all devices connected to the AX3600 will get their addresses from the main router and because they are not firewalled will be able to communicate with all other devices.

OneMarcFifty made an excellent Youtube video on a similar topic:

His setup is a little more complicated than one simple LAN for everything (he uses VLANs), but it covers the basics, too. The "dumb" access point section starts at about 9 minutes.

Hi,
Big thanks to @Robimarko for the great work so far
would be very interested in testing it
but where can I get the latest test release for the AX3600 to flash it
Many thanks