Xiaomi AC2350. 100mbps PPPoE vs 1gbps DHCP. Is it... ok?

I decided to flash OpenWRT on my AC2350. After flashing, I found that it gives out a maximum of 100 Mbps of the channel to the Internet мшф pppoe. This seemed strange to me. Went back to stock firmware. There is 500, which is how much the provider gives me. I took another router, connected it via pppoe to the Internet, and connected the AC2350 wan port to the LAN of the "another" router. And AC2350 in DHCP mode began to 500 again. I don’t understand at all what causes such a state.

Hi, the cpu in this router is not powerful enough to route more than 100mbps via PPPOE.
It’s able to go faster via dhcp as flow offloading is used.

it appears the vendor firmware enables offloading for pppoe as well.

You could see if openwrt allows you to enable offloading in the pppoe interface, if it doesn’t get a faster router.

Cpu is a 775mhz mips

1 Like

Beware that hardware offloading can be buggy, both in OpenWRT and in the original firmware.

Switching, routing & NAT in software with Linux/OpenWRT: Tested by thousands of different vendors (and probably tens of thousands of individuals, at a minimum). Bugs squashed by anyone fix things for everyone.

Switching, routing & NAT with hardware acceleration with stock firmware Tested by a few people at the chip vendor and the router maker. Bugs are sometimes fixed in stock firmware updates or they wait for a new hardware version instead.

Switching, routing & NAT with hardware acceleration in Linux/OpenWRT: I have no idea how these features get introduced and who tests them, sorry. It's turned off by default so probably not many.

I've had stock firmware on routers that do very weird things with packets that might be attributable to hardware offloading. The LAN packet switching behavior of a previous home Netcomm unit of mine would become weirdly allergic to certain MAC addresses, only allowing packets between LAN clients in one direction. Unplugging my desktop's ethernet cable and using this same MAC on a wifi laptop would make the problem follow it. I also encountered some excruciating NAT issues in circa-2011 era Draytek SOHO routers (TCP sessions becoming one-way), but they were nice enough to patch it. No one at the workplace had notice this in ~10 years, they just kept resetting the VOIP phones whenever they broke :stuck_out_tongue: