Xiaomi 4A 3-Gigaport cannot flash OpenWrt 21.02

Ohh got it. I didn't do any of this stuff on my first router just the second one gave me issues.

The first one was simple Invasion and then installation through telnet.

I'm now trying to find a serial flash chip that is more than 16MB and uses the same layout.

I've a serial programmer and it would be cool to transfer over the firmware to the new "larger" chip. Have you seen any chips like that?

Sorry, I can't help regarding your query about larger chip. It's beyond my skill level.

Unless I'm mistaken, I would also think a bigger chip would require custom firmware too, but don't quote me?

1 Like

It most definitely would, it would be quite an endeavour.

Thanks for the help though.

In step 2, what is the Windows Tools? do you mean OpenWRTInvasion ?

It's in this dropbox folder:

Hi everyone.

Sorry for a bit of an off-topic...

I just bought 2 units. Now that I looked around and found out about the issue with the darn flash chip, I am completely rattled.
Could someone please confirm if what I've got is supposed to work or if it is one of the unconfirmed cases?

The devices are bought in Europe and the production date stated on the boxes is 12/2020.
I tried to see the print on the chip through the plastic mesh, without opening it, and I think it says the following:
Winbond
25Q128JVSQ

Would it be advisable to use OpenWRTInvasion installation method, if the chip is fine?

Thanks a lot in advance!

The Winbond W25Q128BV is mentioned in this commit
https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/openwrt.git;a=commit;h=17e690017d76c49070bc99d6a376b1926259c5ff

It seems to be only 'newer' models with Eon flash chip with issues reported so far.

Note you should be able to use the MiWifiRepairToolx86 to unbrick the R4AG.

Are your pair of R4AG the chinese, Giga, or Gigabit model (check label on bottom of router)?

On the label it says Mi Router 4A Gigabit Edition (R4A).

Update: If that might be relevant to anyone, 21.02 has been installed without a problem on Winbond 25Q128JVSQ (production date 12/2020).

1 Like

Does your R4AG have large RF metal shields fitted to the PCB?

No. Just one heatsink around the middle of the board.

1 Like

Reducing the frequency wont fix this issue.

Because they are new flash chip there is no support added in the linux kernel that openwrt is using.

Someone needs to add the required spi ids and test.

mine is like that, except first line says AJ2004 (I guess 2020, week 4), last line is completely covered so it's unreadable
Flash came already with 3.0.24
Production date is 05/2020
Also it has the shield plates, so I was lucky

Hello. I can't run remote command execution vulnerability. Can anyone help me?