X86 squashfs size is way too small

In the new version 21.02, the squashfs partition is only 100MB, which is down from 250MB in 19.07.

100MB is ridiculously small for that target.
Now I have to jump through so many hoops to just install everything I need...

Please increase it again, 1GB should be reasonable for this target.

Usually the x64 combined squashfs image will claim any space on the block device after the squashfs partition as overlay space, so it should be as large as the underlying medium.

How did you write the image exactly? Or did you maybe install the combined ext4 one by any chance? Because that one is only preformatted for an 100MB overlay partition. For that image you should extend the partition and run resize2fs after writing it to the blockdev.

This is a known issue, you can expand the rootfs partition and filesystem like this:
Resizing filesystem /root on X86_64 - #2 by vgaetera

1 Like

It does not. The squashfs combined is very limited. I am building my own so that I can update without having to resize the partition every time.

The resizing instructions are fairly involved and not really intended for just updating.

Honestly with the APUs being available with SD cards, this really shouldn't still be a thing.

Why not use ext4 instead, seems like the squashfs's just an additional pain,
and harder to resize.

Love the APUs, you can have multiple installations set up in parallell on the SDs,
and just swap by rebooting, and selecting whichever one you'd like to run.

As I understand it the squashfs installation is easier on flash file systems, but I don't really know. Honestly, I'm more or less just getting started on the APUs so I'm feeling my way around.

It's just irritating that the documentation at https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/installation/openwrt_x86#partition_layout states "/dev/sda2 is a 256MB", when clearly it is not. 256MB would likely be OK for what I'm hoping to do, but why the change to 100MB (which practically speaking, is too small)?

I may submit a ticket to update the documentation, but I would rather see the default changed to match the documentation.

I have other reasons to build my own images anyway, like making sure the wireless cards are supported by default.

No idea, but is it really though ?

Most routers have a lot less flash space, and people still make do.
Obviously it depends on your use case ...

I guess. It wouldn't be so bad if extroot wasn't broken for squashfs on non-mtd storage. I may just need to use the ext4 images anyway.