X86 Ping Spikes

I am running 22.03.2, on a custom x86-built pc. Running sqm and irqbalance. I get a wavefoam A+ and 0 packet loss through other tests. But my ping is incredibly unstable while gaming, and yes I know this is most likely because of the game servers. None of my cores are being maxed out during speed tests.

Is there any way to indicate where the spikes are coming from?

Using: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz
1Gb Network Card Compare to Intel E1G42ET NIC

I disabled irqbalance as a test and it seemed to have been the issue. I now don't know if this is because of improperly settings it up (all I did was activate it) or if it was just causing issues in general. I just activated it beforehand because of not having much documentation, and not fully understanding the documentation out there.

Spikes are still there but not as bad.

Just a theory.

Gaming does not ned a lot of bandwidth, so while gaming + some normal tasks on your network your i5 probably gets pretty bored and could go into some power save mode which could cause latency.

Any kind of speedtest/bigger downloads especially in conjunction with some sort sqm is more demanding for the cpu and probably awakens it from it‘s power save mode so this would explain why you have good results in your bufferbloat tests.

You could try to put the following lines under /etc/rc.local

echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_governor
echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy1/scaling_governor
echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy2/scaling_governor
echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy3/scaling_governor

I think you have to do this for every cpu core you have (starting at 0). I for example have 4.

This makes the cpu always run in performance mode and should in theory cause less latency - keep in mind it probably will draw more power.

1 Like

Are referencing the in-game display?

If so, does this correspond some some other test you were running while not playing the game?

Packet loss by in-game display and long-term ping tests. But seems to only happen in games.

The ping spikes are literally only in games, my speeds seem to be consistent.

But I have added this and will test it out.