X86 Install 1 Realtek Port & 3 Intel Ports how to configure

Hello out there,

In our old house far away we have an R7800 which has been running openwrt for years.

Made the mistake to buy where we are now an R8000P, which I can't flash with openwrt, so I decided to use an old mini-itx PC with motherboard from Jetway, having an Atom 510 and a realtek single LAN port, a daughterboard expanded the one LAN port to three Intel ports (all are gigabit ports).

Installed OpenWrt 18.06.4 r7808-ef686b7292 / LuCI openwrt-18.06 branch (git-19.170.32094-4d6d8bc) which is running via eth3 (WAN realtek port) and eth0 (LAN br-lan intel port).

I have tried to install Switch by following various guides, but whatever I enter in /etc/config/network gives same result [Switch "switch0" has an unknown topology - the VLAN settings might not be accurate.]

Why did I try to install Switch, because I could not (guess I am getting old) figure out how to include the two remaining LAN ports. I need to connect a couple of other devices direct to the openwrt x86 router.
Can anyone guide me to A) configure 'network' so the Switch works correctly or B) explain how to include the 2 last ports (need to use same subnet / 10.0.0.xxx)?

Many thanks in advance - Steen

With discrete interfaces, there is no "switch" chip, so the config is done with the interfaces and Linux bridges.

Assign VLANs, (only if needed), using "standard" Linux notation -- eth2.1002 is VLAN 1002 on "eth2"

Use linux bridges to "connect" them together. This can be done with LuCI.

As one example, you might set eth0 to be your "WAN" and a bridge over eth1, eth2, and eth3 to be your "LAN"

2 Likes

Hello Jeff,

Thanks so much!

Cheers Steen

1 Like