X86 64 upgrade 18.0.6 -> 19.0.7

Hi,

I use x86 @ home on a small multi-nic router with a m.2 SSD in it. I always expand the rootfs and the luci upgrade seemed to do the right thing this time.

I think I shot myself in the foot due to always replacing busybox binaries with ones I want the full versions of :slight_smile:
atftpd
avahi-nodbus-daemon
bash
iputils-tftpd
luci-app-commands
luci-app-ddns
luci-app-ocserv
luci-ssl-openssl
procps-ng-free
procps-ng-kill
procps-ng-pgrep
procps-ng-pkill
procps-ng-pmap
procps-ng-ps
procps-ng-pwdx
procps-ng-skill
procps-ng-slabtop
procps-ng-snice
procps-ng-tload
procps-ng-top
procps-ng-uptime
procps-ng-vmstat
procps-ng-w
procps-ng-watch
tcpdump
vim

It seems the root password going from bash to busybox gets mangled (possibly a different has algorithm used?).

Anyone know of a way to derive the root password at this point (I of course still know what it was set to).

It is quite a pain to get on the console of this thing and fix it (requires taking it apart, etc...) while the house is not using the internet.

Thanks!

-Greg Oliver

This shouldn't be a problem with the password, but the configured root shell. I assume you installed bash and changed root's login shell from busybox ash to bash, but bash doesn't survive a sysupgrade - leaving you with no valid login shell. This is expected behaviour - and the fix is to leave root's login shell configuration alone (now you'll need to revert that back to /bin/sh).

1 Like

That makes sense, but Luci does not take the login either, so I assumed different. Does Luci require a shell as well?

Well, scratch that - I must have typo'ed it this morning - it just took it !!

Thansk again. I'll run a command in Luci to change the shell back.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.