X86_64 squashfs-combined & extra partitions

Yeah, I think it has to be an absolute path. It actually creates firmware, but in a different location. I will fix the post.

Data? Docker containers? You're looking at x86 targets, chances are their storage is quite a bit more than the 128 MB OpenWrt uses by default.

Whatever you want to survive a reflash/reset: LXC containers, logs, media files, backups, etc. An SSD of 512GB provides a lot of storage to use plus there could be more drives added.

There's a lot wrong with that line. PROFILE=generic needs an equal sign instead of a dash. A path containing spaces needs to be wrapped in quotation marks: BIN_DIR="/Firmware FILES/files". And there also needs to be an equal sign for PACKAGES="unzip tar htop fdisk".

Okay, you changed that in your post now. Makes the question a bit weird, but you do you. :slight_smile:

You shouldn't have to do that. Download, extract, and run the image builder as an unprivileged user.

I'm guessing here, but that seems like a permission issue on the "firmware" folder.

Personally I don't bother, the built images land in the bin/targets subdirectory anyway, just as easy to find as with a custom path.

That is a warning, not a fatal error. The images will still get built.

1 Like

It is a consequence of (maybe just a tiny bit too aggressive) space optimization. As long as the GRUB bootloader fits, and it does, it does not create any issue.

No, it happens to everyone. And again, it is not an error, it is a warning. You're obsessing over something of no consequence.

These two sizes are independent and I made them so big for myself to not have to change them again.

You will find out the moment you do a first build....

The image is a gzip file-- adding gigabytes of zeros filling the empty space on a partition will compress to a very small increase in image file size. I don't know if the build system creates a full-size image on your disk before compression though.

What would you do with 80 GB of space for packages? Install every single package the OpenWrt repo offers, 10 times over?

(https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/22.03.0/packages/x86_64/ amounts to pretty much exactly 2 GB of files, gzipped of course.)

It does, and sysupgrade will also write your full disk image each time you upgrade - which will take a while for writing 80 GB of zeros to disk.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.