WRT54g wireless

Hi, I've been using my version 2.2 router for awhile to do some very menial and non-critical work. I'd like to now enable its wireless yet I'm unable to do so. I'm running the last release (backfire - 10.03.1 - yeah, I know its ancient -- I'm using the following image .../10.03.1/brcm-2.4/openwrt-wrt54g-squashfs.bin).

I did a clean/fresh install (removed all the older settings) and upon login my /etc/config/wireless is completely empty. I tried adding the following content,

config  wifi-device     'wl0'
        option  type    'broadcom'
#       option  type    'mac80211'
        option  channel 'auto'
        option  disabled '0'

Yet that didn't work, I see the following outputs,

root@OpenWrt:~# wlc debug
No Broadcom wl interface found!

root@OpenWrt:/etc/config# wifi on

dmesg results (in pieces) --
wl0: wlc_attach: chiprev 1 coreunit 0 corerev 7 cccap 0x4876a maccap 0x0 band 2.
wl0: wlc_attach: failed with err 24
wl%d: 4.150.10.5 driver failed with code 24
eth0: Broadcom 47xx 10/100BaseT Ethernet 00:13:10:23:e5:cb
No Broadcom devices found.

I believe I'm supposed to be using the broadcom 43xx driver and I see it listed in 'opkg list'

kmod-brcm-wl - 2.4.37.9+4.150.10.5.3-9 - This package contains the proprietary w
BCM43xx chipset.
kmod-brcm-wl-mimo - 2.4.37.9+4.150.10.5.3-9 - This package contains the propriet
BCM43xx chipset.

Yet I don't see them listed in 'lsmod' (not sure if they should be noted there), so I'm lost...

Any suggestions on what I need to do to debug this and get the wireless working on the device ?

Thanks.

Ummm...I'm able to run snapshot...on a WRT54GS v.3...

How is a 10 year old firmware last release?

Try Snapshot (BTW, it has no web GUI). There is no current support for this hardware, nor the version of OpenWrt you're using. You'll be hard pressed to find anyone who even recalls version 10 syntax (which differs from UCI today).

Lastly, since there is no access the the proprietary driver, your device is running in old 801.11b/g mode - you're probably congesting the 2.4 GHz band if you have neighbors nearby.

With 4 MB Flash and 16 MB RAM...maybe not...mine is an 8/32 device.

All variants of the WRT54G are b/g hardware only. Do your neighbors a favor and retire obsolete slow standards that would also slow them down.

3 Likes