WRT54G v2.2 bricked

I somehow managed to brick my old WRT54G running 10.03.1 -- I was trying to reassign the WAN port to LAN. The wiki instructions for failsafe mode are from the wiki:

If you forget your password, have broken one of the startup scripts, firewalled yourself out, or corrupted the JFFS2 partition, you can get back in by using OpenWrt's failsafe mode:

• Unplug the power cord, press and hold the reset button, put in the power cord, when DMZ-LED lits up release the reset button. When done right, both Power-LED and DMZ-LED will start blinking. Now you can ping and telnet into 192.168.1.1

I get the blinking Power-LED and DMZ-LED but cannot get a network connection with any of the Ethernet ports.

Suggestions that don't involve modding my WRT54G?

you can reset the device to default settings too. Same page of failsafe mode.

On devices with a physical reset button, OpenWrt can be reset to default settings without serial or SSH access.

• Power on the device and wait for the status led to stop flashing (or go into failsafe mode, as described above).
  • Press and hold the reset button for 10 seconds.
  • Release the reset button.

The device will do a hard factory reset (see below) and then reboot. This operation can be slow on some devices, so wait a few minutes before connecting again.

I had also tried that and it did not work either. Plus I did the combo, putting it in failsafe mode first and then pressing and holding the reset button for 10 seconds.