WRT32X Wifi Dropping

Hello,
I currently have wifi connectivity losses on my router linksys WRT32X with the latest firmware version openwrt 18.06.4.
To test I'm back on the stock version of Linksys and I do not have this problem anymore.
I think it comes from the mwlwifi driver.
Could you tell me if you had a new stable version of firmware?

Thank you in advance

1 Like

Hi there, @Tealc . Is this affecting both 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios, or just 5GHz? If it's just 5GHz, are you using a DFS channel? The Marvell wifi chips in the WRT32X are notoriously sensitive to signals it interprets as radar and will shut the radio down for up to 10 minutes while it moves to a different channel. Change to a non-DFS channel (typically ch36 in the UK) and you should find it a lot more stable. There is no fix for this and it is extremely unlikely that one will ever be forthcoming as the Marvel firmware is proprietary and development on it has stopped. There's a lot more discussion of this topic over in the davidc502 custom firmware thread and here on github

1 Like

60 seconds max, if it changes to another DFS channel.
Should be near instant when switching to non DFS.

Nope, it's dependent on the country regulations. Some it's 60 seconds, some 5 minutes, some 10 minutes. OP didn't mention what country he's in hence my statement of "up to 10 minutes".

1 Like

I observe this problem in 2.4GHz and 5GHz.
And for 5GHz, i'm already on channel 36.
What is curious is that I do not have this problem with the latest Linksys firmware Ver. 1.0.180404.58.
So from my point of view it's not a configuration problem.

I didn't know there were countries with a CAC 600s. That's an awful amount of time.

1 Like

The same happens to me too. So the WRT32X is only stable when using the firmware from Linksys?

Have you tried building your own firmware build yet? I have a WRT3200ACM which has a similar hardware setup and it took me spinning up my own firmware build to get the latest and greatest driver and ultimately get things working the way I wanted (ie. stable). I haven't updated my build yet since 18.06.4 released (so I can't speak to the latest software in the build tree) but the build I create shortly after the 18.06.2 release fixed most of the major radio issues I was experiencing. Good luck!

As someone pointed out in an earlier response development on this driver has stopped so the version packaged in the current FW is the same one I built from the source tree a while back. Feel free to build your own version if you want to but unfortunately you won't get a newer driver from that process it appears.

1 Like