WRT32X - Failed after firmware Sysupgrade

Hello Hello !!

Yes first post, so first thank you for all of this. When I first start up my WRT32X, I was so suprise with the lack of options available; not even MAC filtering ... And this is where (by talking with a friend) I found OpenWRT. I confgured everything like I wanted (not always easily) but with time everything looked good.

Why did I do upgrade when it looks fine?

Recently I found our a weird behavior. Long story short, I have 4 radio on my router but all devices were connected to the same 2.4ghz and with not great performance. So I investigated and found that my 5ghz were not able to be associated ... Long story short, I found in the forum a guy that had the same similar issue that he resolved by upgrading his firmware. mine was old (18.x.x) i decided to do it but in sequent.

Process follows

So I did the 18 --> 19 with success except i lost my config.
then i wanted to do the 19 --> 20 but i had a warning saying the venon was not supported and it will not keep the config. i didn't care as i already lost it in the previous step so I forced it.

Result and investigation

Since, the router doesn't response.
in the order:
1- No Web interface
2- No ping to the default 192.168.1.1
3- No DHCP service
4- Try with fix IP address but same result.
5- Try to use the reset button for 10 sec then redo the test but still same result.
6- Decide to ask for help.

Why it happened?

I know in french we say "Touche pas à cça p'tit con" (translate by "Don't touch this little ...") but I still did thiniking knowing what I was doing :-P.
I'm not really sure but the only reason that I see why it happened would be that I mixed the version.
I think that when I wanted to select the 20 version, i may be choose the wrong version and select the 22 version. This is because I download all the version at the same time in the same folder and it was late when I did this.

What to do ?

Obviously the first step would be to have access to any interface.
I don't see the "Console" entry as we have on Cisco (No Console port nor USB-C port)
But there are 2 USB port (One USB 2 and One USB3).
I suppose there is a "Boot from USB" solution but I didn't find it yet.
Any idea or suggestion to reset the router?
Or maybe there is another Default IP that I can use to get back the access?

Thank you for you help

The wiki page for your device has information about recovering from your bricked state

1 Like

you have a device with dual boot partitions. The other partition likely is still ok.

first try https://openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wrt32x#power_switch, to manually trigger booting via the other firmware partition.

1 Like

Ok thank you it work, I was able to switch the boot. Now I'll check to sysupgrade the version 19-->21 (there is no version 20). I'll keep you inform.

Perfect it work. I had to reset to factory that is not really a big deal as you already know.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!

(And happy new year)

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.