[SOLVED] WRT32X and Smart Plug Problems

The hostapd config file is created in RAM from the settings in /etc/config/wireless. Editing it directly is not recommended.

In /etc/config/wireless, use option wmm 0 in the interface section. Also consider that removing the htmode setting from the radio section would force the whole radio down to b/g.

Make sure you also have an option country with a real country code (preferably the one you live in) for best results.

1 Like

Thanks for this mk24. hostpad.conf has more options in them, I wanted to compare those.

Please keep in mind, this exercise is FOR ONLY MAKING ESP WORK. It doesn't have any other aim or purpose, anything else is irrelevant (speed, function, etc).

/etc/config/wireless

config wifi-device 'radio2'
        option type 'mac80211'
        option path 'platform/soc/soc:internal-regs/f10d8000.sdhci/mmc_host/mmc0/mmc0:0001/mmc0:0001:1'
        option legacy_rates '1'
        option channel 'auto'
        option hwmode '11g'
        option country 'XX'

config wifi-iface 'default_radio2'
        option device 'radio2'
        option network 'lan'
        option mode 'ap'
        option ssid 'XXXX'
        option disassoc_low_ack '0'
        option key 'xxxxxxxxx'
        option encryption 'psk-mixed'
        option wmm '0'

OK the red flag here is you're using radio2, (despite being repeatedly told not to). Try it on the real 2 GHz radio which I think is radio1.

3 Likes

As I explained before in the very first post, I DID TRY RADIO1. Please leave aside this radio 2 obsession, there are others who make it work there.

For me, it doesnt matter what radio it is for as long as it works on anything. But it does not.

Perhaps you should follow that advice yourself. Transmission on the third radio is non-certified operation.

Consider purchasing an AP or other device for these clients.

1 Like

Operation without WMM and falling back to b/g likely has not been tested very much. I would monitor the packets with a third device to confirm the driver is working as expected.

1 Like

No, I don't want to follow that advice. LEAVE IT. I paid for this device, you did not.

Don't, you'll get a headache. The OP understands, or doesn't - and wishes to try anyways. I'm intrigued; because I had no clue radio2 even worked this much. I'm actually curious about this use case (since I'm not the one committing a crime to try it).

I'm more curious...if it's working so well, why are so much fine-tuning and special configs needed (i.e. want for an actual issue/problem)???

I also never saw it [directly] mentioned, so I'm not sure if the OP knows, that you can put multiple SSIDs on radio1 (but I think the issue is certain IoT devices won't connect for the OP normally - hence the use-need).

@mk24, I just know...he won't be singing the same tune - if the Enforcement Bureau along with the Signal Corps ever come looking for that device...he paid for a device, and it gave him the right to ignore that [FCC authorization] label on it.

I'm learning actually.

Fellas, for the sanity of this topic:

1. I am not using 5 GHz. 3rd radio has no DSF function for me.

2. ESP devices are NOT working with 2.4 GHz radio.

3. I don't care which radio it is, or which radio it works on for as long as I can get it working. THIS IS FOR TESTING.

4. 3rd radio works fine for regular WIFI traffic. I read somewhere 12-hour operating time, but I did not experince this. It is working nonstop.

5. I am NOT in USA, and I don't care about FCC.

6. I bought this device, I don't need someone to tell me how I can use it. And neither did I ask your advice on this. Money & consequences are mine, and only mine.

I hope this is clear, and you will leave me alone about it.

My main issue is that my SONOFF S20 Smart Plugs work with every router I had, except OpenWRT.

To keep everyone happy, I am on 2.4GHz radio.

Nothing works with Sonoff S20. Only NO ENCRYPTION.

I hope you find a solution but just wanted to give you a ray of hope - on my WRT32X I couldn't get the 5ghz working (excpet on nonDFS channels which was no good for me) on openwrt for love nor money (it worked on dd-wrt). I tried everything and no joy. Just as I was about to give up after weeks of trying I tried it one last time (without any config changes) and it sprang to life and has been fine ever since (although the driver is coded incorrectly for the UK permitted channels). I'm not convinced this driver is robust and it looks like it might not be being developed any more. But dont give up hope.

If you haven't tried it and you want to trial it give DD-WRT a go and see if the sonoff devices connect with that. As like me youre outside the US you can try radio 1 (with an additional vlan where WMM is turned off) or radio 2 - I'm pretty sure in most jurisdictions if youre broadcasting on a legal channel and at legal powers no one is going to bat an eyelid. My radio 2 gave a better coverage than radio 1 on 2.4gHz! If you do try DD-WRT red the thread on flashing back to OEM/openwrt as its not a GUI based operation and make sure youre ok with that before trying it.

Did your sonoffs update automatically to firmware 3.0? My techniks are still on 1.5.

Im currently using the latest gargoyle snapshot which they are connected to and which is based on openwrt 18.06. The version I'm using can be downloaded from https://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11965. This deosnt have the drivers for the radio2 so takes that element out of the equation :slight_smile:

Stock firmware on WRT32X works fine. It just took few secs and everything was good to go.

This doesn't have to be this painful. I am going to flash DDWRT.

It informed me there is firmware update (it was saying that few months already) and I had to manually do it.

Oh I see you suggested DDWRT as well. I will boot to linksys partition (which is still partition 1) and flash from linksys gui. I am assuming this will overwrite OpenWRT on Partition 2 and I don't need to do anything else.

In freaking 15 years, it is still the same shythe. You have to spend a month for each and every little thing.

no you have to flash a cut down version first and then from the dd-wrt gui flash the full version so it will overwrite both partitions. Flashing back to OEM or openwrt takes an SSH shell (I use putty) and WinSCP to transfer the image over but if you read the thread on the forum its easy.

I just booted into Linksys GUI and flashed DDWRT from there. I did not even bother connecting a LAN cable -- I am so tired of this.

DDWRT works fine, but Sonoff still does not work.

I also noticed that Stock Linksys Firmware was extremely snappy. I was shocked how fast everything loaded compared to both OpenWRT and DDWRT.

FINALLY WORKS!

In case there are those going through the same problems:

AP-STA-POSSIBLE-PSK-MISMATCH at the very beginning was the hint.

eWeLink app is capitalizing the first letter of WIFI password. No matter how many times I changed it, it always capitalized. Somehow this works with stock firmwares, so I thought it was for cosmetic reasons. It is NOT for OpenWRT and DD-WRT!
I had to add another letter and use backspace to delete the capital letter.

Rest like others said: WMM off. Works on both radios.

I decided to use the 3rd radio even though it works on 2nd radio and the Guest Network on 2nd radio. I am not using 2nd radio at all. Now I am also using the 5 GHz. I don't give a rat's ass about DSF. Why? Because I want to.

Thank you everyone who tried to help and no thanks to those who screwed my brain with irrelevant stuff.

Keep in mind that disabling WMM also disables HT/ VHT (so speeds above 54 MBit/s), which wouldn't be that pleasurable for non-IoT devices; WMM is an essential component of 802.11n/ac/ax.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.