WRT3200ACM: wifi devices don't get disconnected

I upgraded my Linksys WRT3200ACM to SNAPSHOT, r5216 (to fix the krack exploits). Now, wifi devices that are idle for a long time don't get disconnected anymore.

I tried to set "option max_inactivity '300' " in the "wifi-iface" sections of /etc/config/wireless, but that didn't change anything.

One thing I noticed, which might or might not have anything to do with this:

At bootup the time is far in the future. The timestamp of all devices in /dev shows "Dec 1 2036". After /etc/init.d/sysfixtime runs, the system time is set to a more reasonable value. hwclock returns: "Mon Dec 1 14:15:19 2036". I tried to change that with "hwclock -w -u -f /dev/rtc0", but no effect and no error message.

Any ideas or pointers?

kernel version: 4.9.58
hostapd version: v2.7-devel

1 Like

Associated station showing connection when client not present

What happens if you use 17.01.4 instead of snapshot?

0 Likes

for me, the 5ghz radio wouldn't even enable. on snapshot and 17.01.4

0 Likes

I will test 17.01.4 and then report back.

0 Likes

Note that current stable is behind on the mwlwifi driver. You will probably want this, especially with the rango, but you will than have a more recent BLOB than what comes OOTB with a build based on current master.

0 Likes

I saw that too, but only with a realtek AC usb client adapter, in LUCI and syslog it will act like is still connected, but I repeat, only that client
Using latest master

0 Likes

I installed stable 17.01.4 and this bug doesn't occur there. Idle clients get disconnected after a certain time, as expected.

Side note: Timestamp of the devices is still set to "Dec 1 2036" but that seems to be irrelevant.

Anybody intereseted in debugging the disconnect problem in trunk? I still have trunk on the alternate partition, so it would be easy for me to run some tests there.

0 Likes

Sure. As there is no real-time clock with battery, there is no real time as the early boot.

sysfixtime sets the system time to "last known good time" (= latest file timestamp in /etc)
after you get internet connectivity, ntp fetches the correct time for system time.

0 Likes

with the same mwlwifi driver?
Or with the old 2017-06-06 driver in 17.01.4?

(is the bug in LEDE 17.01 vs master, or in the mwlwifi driver 2017-06-06 vs. 2017-08-10?)

0 Likes

I think it is the same mwlwifi driver. For the stable firmware (17.01.4), I installed eduperez' pre-compiled driver. For my trunk version, I didn't change anything about the mwlwifi driver.

kmod-mwlwifi - 4.4.92+10.3.4.0-20170818-cbb631e-1

0 Likes