WRT3200ACM Unstable 5GHz radio causing hostapd errors?

I've done some searching but haven't found much specific on the topic. I am having repeated trouble with the clients of one of the radios on my WRT3600ACM dropping off at the same time. The clients will disconnect after just a few minutes and will not be able to "see" radio2. The same clients will be able to connect steadily to the other 5ghz radio, radio0, for quite some time.

Here is an example of the log full of hostapd errors:

Sat May  2 03:16:49 2020 daemon.err hostapd: Failed to set beacon parameters
Sat May  2 03:16:55 2020 daemon.err hostapd: Failed to set beacon parameters
Sat May  2 03:17:01 2020 daemon.err hostapd: Failed to set beacon parameters
Sat May  2 03:17:07 2020 daemon.err hostapd: Failed to set beacon parameters
Sat May  2 03:17:13 2020 daemon.err hostapd: Failed to set beacon parameters
Sat May  2 03:17:19 2020 daemon.err hostapd: Failed to set beacon parameters

Here's what I have in /etc/config/wireless for radio2:

config wifi-device 'radio2'
        option type 'mac80211'
        option hwmode '11a'
        option path 'platform/soc/soc:internal-regs/f10d8000.sdhci/mmc_host/mmc0/mmc0:0001/mmc0:0001:1'
        option htmode 'VHT20'
        option channel '165'

config wifi-iface 'default_radio2'
        option device 'radio2'
        option network 'lan'
        option mode 'ap'
        option skip_inactivity_poll '1'
        option ssid 'CELERY'
        option encryption 'psk2+ccmp'
        option key 'monkey123'
        option disassoc_low_ack '0'

I heard this might be a driver issue but didn't get much specific info. Could anyone confirm?

Should this be WRT3200ACM perhaps?

The forum search might yield some useful results:

Yes, sorry, momentary lapse in proofreading ability. WRT3200ACM is what I had searched for and didn't find much info.

Those forum searches mostly mention turning off radio2. For me this is not an option. The WRT3200ACM only operates on channel 165 with radio2 and that happens to be the only clear channel in my very crowded apartment building.

I did see a mention of @eduperez's pre-compiled drivers and wondered if anyone had noticed any difference with them. I'm getting tired tonight but I will try them tomorrow myself.

The radio2 device uses a different driver and firmware than the radio0 and radio1, there is nothing that my packages can do for radio2.

I am currently using radio2 for experimentation, and it is stable. Perhaps there are other message in the logs that give us more info.

This radio2 has one very weak internal antenna and you are running it at VHT20. Are you sure you prefer that to four strong external antennas and VHT160, even if the zone is crowded?

can you say what kind of experimentation you do with that, i never used that radio, range and speed is very bad

Basically for IoT devices, that do not require a higher speed, and are placed close to the router.

1 Like