WRT3200ACM - Third Wireless Radio Drops

At least once a day, sometimes twice, the 802.11bgnac radio on my Linksys WRT3200ACM (Brand new) just drops indefinitely until I reboot the device. Upon checking the system logs, I do see multiple error stating:

"daemon.err hostapd: Failed to set beacon parameters"

All the wired connections are still fine, but when I navigate to the "Wireless" section under Network, the 3rd radio just has all question marks for the channel and bitrate:

Channel: ? (? GHz) | Bitrate: ? Mbit/s

I am using the most recent build of Open-WRT ( OpenWrt 18.06.1 r7258-5eb055306f / LuCI openwrt-18.06 branch (git-18.228.31946-f64b152)) and the kernel version is 4.14.63.

Can anyone please point me in the right direction? The order I flashed the firmware in was the default Linksys firmware, to DD-WRT, to Open-WRT. No other changes have been made.

-Pyro

If you are referring to this, you probably do not want to use it as a general purpose wifi radio, and pay attention to the readme as it can cause some grief. Some do use it as a near distance backhaul, AV feed, possibly the BT.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the bgnac mixed radio, but when I activated the 5Ghz only band, half of my devices in my house stopped working... Should I just configure both the 2.4Ghz and the 5Ghz radios with the same SSID and password? I also wouldn't mind just using the 2.4, but the problem is there are a lot of networks broadcasting on this frequency.

-Pyro

Configuring 2.4 GHz and 5.4 GHz devices with the same SSID doesn't work in OpenWrt like in some other manufacturers' models. This is because the "band steering" used is not a wireless standard.

See: Dual-band SSID Best Practices?