WRT3200ACM and DSA

The CPU port is the eth0/1, CPU ports is a dsa term to describe witch switch ports connect to the CPU

That is the default in swconfig. In DSA the way in which ports are handled is completely different.

The driver is very limited, it allows few to none offloadings and I have no idea if rss is enabled or not

I believe irqbalance will do that for you.

@tiagogaspar8 @ParanoidZoid
I'm using DSA again with kernel 5.4.
I don't know whether the multicast bug has been fixed, so you can give it a try.

I tried the 5.4 kernel and the DSA VLAN issue is still there. I think that the multicast bug is still there too but I haven't tried.

1 Like

Then you have to use VLAN filtering

does this vlan bug has been reported to the maintainer?

Out of curiosity -

to my understanding the device is a dual CPU with a Marvell 88E6352 switch and thus wondering whether each CPU switch facing port (eth0 | eth2) is actually connected to the switch or like the Turris Omnia without a Multi-CPU-DSA patch only one CPU port is connected to the switch?

Ach well, seems to be a similar case

Just as cross reference

wait what...
what is the correlation between multicpu and vlan bug?

I am not sure what counts as vlan bug in this thread? VLAN tag/untag with the downstream ports (LAN X) works for me (on the Turris Omnia) with the bridge v command and WAN facing VLAN egress tagging with the ip l command (or via UCI iface settings).

What does not work for me without the Multi-CPU-DSA patch, aside from one CPU switch facing port not being connected to the switch, is VLAN filtering (ip l s dev <device name> ty bridge vlan_filtering 1)

can you pass me this multi port dsa patch?

[4] being the TOS patch applied for the Turris Omnia. The patch developer been sympathetic to the request to upstream it to OpenWrt:

I fear it won't apply smoothly and needs some work. Sadly I have more pressing issues now to work on

[5] is the attempt to get it accepted upstream in the Linux kernel but that seems to be going nowhere

if it's the same patch that was proposed upstream i think it got rejected...

Following through the kernel mailing list thread it seems the discussion to have fizzled out but not being rejected.

Nonetheless, the patch works for the TO.

And apparently the matter would have to be sorted, not sure how many devices with such Multi-CPU-DSA device tree are currently supported by OpenWrt, probably predominately the mvebu target tree, or how many more might spring up.

A kick at the cat

1 Like

Can someone explain to me how DSA with only one CPU can even work?
I thought one CPU Port is used for the LAN Ports and the other one is used for the WAN Port.

The problem is on WRT1200 (and on the other WRT* devices too, I guess) that DSA uses the CPU Port that has no hardware mac assigned. So on each reboot a random mac is assigned.
I tried to modify the DTS file to use the CPU Port with the static mac.
But that didn't work. The Links come online (lan1-4,wan) but no communication is possible.
Only the TX packet counters do increase.

Atleast, I was able to disable one CPU Port.
So the unused CPU Port doesn't show up anymore in the system.

Can someone explain why DSA can use one CPU Port and use all ports lan1-4+wan and when using the other CPU Port nothing works, please?

The CPU port that is used by DSA, uses SGMII isn't that limited to 2 RX / 2 TX Queues?
The other one uses RGMII which is limited to 4 RX / 4 TX Queues?

Are those queues, the queues that the driver set ups and uses (and can be viewied with tc)?

//edit
i found this table:

MII - Media Independent Interface - 100 Mbps
GMII - Gigabit MII - 1 Gbps (24 pins) ( 8TX - 8RX )
RGMII - Reduced GMII - 1 Gbps (12 pins) ( 4TX - 4RX )
SGMII - Serial GMII - 1 Gbps (8 pins) ( 2TX - 2RX )
XAUI - XGMII Extender - 10 Gbps (XY pins) ( 8TX - 8RX )
SPI-4.2 - System Packet Interface Level 4, Phase 2 ( 16TX - 16RX )

So it makes even less sense that both CPU Ports have 8 RX / 8 TX queues?

//edit 3
got it working with the help of dengqf6.
DSA now uses the CPU Port with the hardware mac and the left over CPU port is removed/disabled.
Next I will try to modify mvneta, so it only uses 4 RX/TX (because the CPU port uses rgmii) queues and see how this goes...

//edit 4
Okaayyy that also works, needs some testing but here are the patches:
Reduce tx/rx queues to 4 to match RGMII interface capabilities:

--- a/drivers/net/ethernet/marvell/mvneta.c
+++ b/drivers/net/ethernet/marvell/mvneta.c
@@ -637,8 +637,8 @@ static enum cpuhp_state online_hpstate;
 /* The hardware supports eight (8) rx queues, but we are only allowing
  * the first one to be used. Therefore, let's just allocate one queue.
  */
-static int rxq_number = 8;
-static int txq_number = 8;
+static int rxq_number = 4;
+static int txq_number = 4;

static int rxq_def;

Switch CPU Ports.
Use the CPU Port with hardware mac and faster RGMII interface (over SGMII)
And disable the left over CPU Port.

--- a/arch/arm/boot/dts/armada-385-linksys.dtsi
+++ b/arch/arm/boot/dts/armada-385-linksys.dtsi
@@ -115,18 +115,6 @@
	};
};

-&eth2 {
-	status = "okay";
-	phy-mode = "sgmii";
-	buffer-manager = <&bm>;
-	bm,pool-long = <2>;
-	bm,pool-short = <3>;
-	fixed-link {
-		speed = <1000>;
-		full-duplex;
-	};
-};
-
&i2c0 {
	pinctrl-names = "default";
	pinctrl-0 = <&i2c0_pins>;
@@ -200,10 +188,10 @@
				label = "wan";
			};

-			port@5 {
-				reg = <5>;
+			port@6 {
+				reg = <6>;
				label = "cpu";
-				ethernet = <&eth2>;
+				ethernet = <&eth0>;

fixed-link {
					speed = <1000>;

1 Like

The same way it works on all the (usually cheaper-) routers which only have a single CPU port to the switch to begin with, by using VLANs to distinguish WAN and LAN traffic over the (trunked) CPU port, splitting and untagging it in the switch fabric.

Hmm... so DSA "combines" both CPU Ports?

The RX / TX queues of the various (*)RMII implementations....
Are those the actual "hardware lines"?
So it makes sense to have RGMII with 4 RX/TX Queues attached to the switch (because of 4 ports)
And the SGMII attached to WAN interface (2 RX/TX Queues vs 1 interface)
Are those queues the ones that the driver utilizes?

Is it better to reduce the "driver queues" to 2. So each CPU can handle its own queue?

The WRT routers use two CPU ports connected to the switch for all of the switched ports. Meaning that the WAN and LAN ports use the same CPU port(s).

The Turris Omnia on the other hand has that + an extra ethernet interface dedicated to WAN (5 LAN + 1 WAN).

I have absolutely no idea about that queue stuff. There are 5 ports on the WRT switch, not 4.

The Turris people have a dual CPU DSA patch that can and probably should be imported here.

2 Likes

hmm okay..

I think the queues used by (*)MII are not the actual queues used by the nic.

But the (8) queues are pretty much useless anyway.
Because it is not possible to configure them with ethtool.
ethtool -l eth0

Channel parameters for eth0:
Cannot get device channel parameters
: Not supported

This means that your driver has not implemented the ethtool get_channels operation. This could be because the NIC doesn’t support adjusting the number of queues, doesn’t support RSS / multiqueue, or your driver has not been updated to handle this feature.

ethtool -x eth0 (RX flow indirection table)

RX flow hash indirection table for eth0 with 4 RX ring(s):
    0:      0
RSS hash key:
Operation not supported
RSS hash function:
    toeplitz: on
    xor: off
    crc32: off

ethtool -n eth0 (RX network flow classification)

4 RX rings available
rxclass: Cannot get RX class rule count: Not supported
RX classification rule retrieval failed

ethtool -k eth0 | grep 'ntuple'
ntuple-filters: off [fixed]

So configuring RX/RSS queues doesn't work?

I currently have a build running with only 2 queues (Well actually, 4 queues 2 RX / 2 TX). (one queue for each CPU.)
Then enable XPS, one queue assign to each CPU.
And don't use RPS (and don't see any significant change in CPU utilization anyway), I have read that it can introduce unwanted latency and RSS is the better choice.
But unfortunately, it isn't possible to configure RSS. (I think this is also the reason why one CPU core gets maxed out all the time when there is much traffic load)

//edit
2 queues also work fine.

One "strange" thing to add...

With the packet steering script disabled and 4 queues enabled, the XPS mapping is as follows:
Queue/CPU Mask:
1:1
2:2
3:0
4:1
Why is XPS automatically disabled for one Queue?

With the packet steering script disabled and 2 queues enabled, the XPS mapping is as follows:
Queue/CPU Mask:
1:1
2:2

Interesting...

//edit

qdisc mq 0: root
 Sent 574394796 bytes 1915770 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 5)
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 5
qdisc fq_codel 0: parent :2 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 **Sent 3364472 bytes 15081 pkt** (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
  **maxpacket 0 drop_overlimit 0 new_flow_count 0** ecn_mark 0
  new_flows_len 0 old_flows_len 0
qdisc fq_codel 0: parent :1 limit 10240p flows 1024 quantum 1514 target 5.0ms interval 100.0ms memory_limit 4Mb ecn
 **Sent 571030324 bytes 1900689 pkt** (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 5)
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 5
  **maxpacket 1522 drop_overlimit 0 new_flow_count 4** ecn_mark 0
  new_flows_len 0 old_flows_len 0

Hmm...
The first queue shows: 15081 packets transmitted
maxpacket: 0 (max packet size?) how can this be 0?

The second queue shows: 1900689 packets transmitted
maxpacket: 1522, makes more sense...
new_flow_count: 4, seems a bit low to me....

And when I search the forum for some tc output, for example here:

Its the same, most queues show a maxpacket value of 0.

I will try a build with 1 queue, with swconfig that didn't work. maybe it works with DSA...
//edit
Nope.. doesn't work. Interfaces come up but no communication is possible.
The interface(s) packet counter shows a large amount of RX packets..
Hmm...

@nitroshift
Why did you delete your post?
Should the bm paramters ported over or not?

//edit
I was thinking about a solution to make better use of the hardware queues..
mq is a classful qdisc.

tc -s -d class show dev eth0
class mq 1:1 root leaf 110:
 Sent 248443426 bytes 241991 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 1)
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 1
class mq 1:2 root leaf 120:
 Sent 356548 bytes 1650 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 1)
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 1

So in theory it should be possible to filter/classify traffic...

TC=$(which tc)
IPT=$(which iptables)
IPT6=$(which ip6tables)

"${TC}" qdisc replace dev eth0 handle 1 root mq
"${TC}" qdisc replace dev eth0 parent 1:1 handle 110 fq_codel quantum 300 target 50us interval 1ms noecn
"${TC}" qdisc replace dev eth0 parent 1:2 handle 120 fq_codel quantum 300 target 50us interval 1ms noecn

"${TC}" filter del dev eth0 parent 110: > /dev/null 2>&1
"${TC}" filter del dev eth0 parent 120: > /dev/null 2>&1

"${TC}" filter add dev eth0 parent 110: protocol all prio 10 u32 match u32 0 0 flowid 1:1 > /dev/null 2>&1
"${TC}" filter add dev eth0 parent 120: protocol all prio 10 u32 match u32 0 0 flowid 1:2 > /dev/null 2>&1

"${TC}" filter add dev eth0 parent 110:0 protocol all prio 1 u32 match u32 0 0 action connmark continue > /dev/null 2>&1
"${TC}" filter add dev eth0 parent 120:0 protocol all prio 1 u32 match u32 0 0 action connmark continue > /dev/null 2>&1

"${TC}" filter add dev eth0 parent 110:0 protocol all prio 5 handle 2 fw flowid 1:2 > /dev/null 2>&1
"${TC}" filter add dev eth0 parent 120:0 protocol all prio 5 handle 1 fw flowid 1:1 > /dev/null 2>&1

### IPv4
"${IPT}" -N MQ -t mangle > /dev/null 2>&1 \
  || "${IPT}" -F MQ -t mangle

"${IPT}" -C MQ -t mangle -m connmark ! --mark 0 -j RETURN > /dev/null 2>&1 \
	|| "${IPT}" -A MQ -t mangle -m connmark ! --mark 0 -j RETURN

"${IPT}" -t mangle -C MQ -m statistic --mode nth --every 2 --packet 0 -j CONNMARK --set-mark 1 > /dev/null 2>&1 \
	|| "${IPT}" -t mangle -A MQ -m statistic --mode nth --every 2 --packet 0 -j CONNMARK --set-mark 1

"${IPT}" -t mangle -C MQ -m statistic --mode nth --every 2 --packet 1 -j CONNMARK --set-mark 2 > /dev/null 2>&1 \
	|| "${IPT}" -t mangle -A MQ -m statistic --mode nth --every 2 --packet 1 -j CONNMARK --set-mark 2

"${IPT}" -t mangle -C POSTROUTING -m conntrack --ctstate NEW -j MQ > /dev/null 2>&1 \
	|| "${IPT}" -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -m conntrack --ctstate NEW -j MQ

### IPv6
"${IPT6}" -N MQ -t mangle > /dev/null 2>&1 \
	|| "${IPT6}" -F MQ -t mangle

"${IPT6}" -C MQ -t mangle -m connmark ! --mark 0 -j RETURN > /dev/null 2>&1 \
	|| "${IPT6}" -A MQ -t mangle -m connmark ! --mark 0 -j RETURN

"${IPT6}" -t mangle -C MQ -m statistic --mode nth --every 2 --packet 0 -j CONNMARK --set-mark 1 > /dev/null 2>&1 \
	|| "${IPT6}" -t mangle -A MQ -m statistic --mode nth --every 2 --packet 0 -j CONNMARK --set-mark 1

"${IPT6}" -t mangle -C MQ -m statistic --mode nth --every 2 --packet 1 -j CONNMARK --set-mark 2 > /dev/null 2>&1 \
	|| "${IPT6}" -t mangle -A MQ -m statistic --mode nth --every 2 --packet 1 -j CONNMARK --set-mark 2

"${IPT6}" -t mangle -C POSTROUTING -m conntrack --ctstate NEW -j MQ > /dev/null 2>&1 \
	|| "${IPT6}" -t mangle -I POSTROUTING -m conntrack --ctstate NEW -j MQ

//edit 3
updated once more...
classify doesn't seem to work either...
Next bet, skbedit...
// edit 4
skbedit also not working...
Maybe it only works with mqprio qdisc but mqprio also doesn't work (also tried hw 0).
So back to the connmark match approach...
The hierarchy looks like this

• root/parent 1:0
  • mq class 1:1 -> leaf 110: fq_codel
  • mq class 1:2 -> leaf 120: fq_codel
    It is not possible to attach filters to root/parent 1: or class 1:1 / 1:2
    It is only possible to attach filters to 110: / 120:
    Matching for fw mark 1 in 110: makes no sense because it is already in there.
    So match for fw mark 2 in 110: and redirect it to 1:2 and the other way around...
    But actually I'm not sure if this works properly...

Buffer manager is defined for eth0 a few lines up in armada-385-linksys.dtsi, there's no need to define it again.

nitroshift