WRT1900ACSv2: Upgrading from OpenWRT to LEDE

Just performed a sysupgrade from OpenWRT 15.05.1 to LEDE on my Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 using the image found here.

After the upgrade, I found that my interfaces had changed. In OpenWRT, eth0 was configured for my wan interface, and worked as expected using the WAN adapter on the router. In LEDE interfaces configured on eth0 were working only when using the LAN ports on the back of the router. I couldn't get any interface to work on the WAN port, specifying eth1 for my logical wan interface didn't work. (I thought maybe they'd switched).

I've included my /etc/config/network file below. This config works as expected in OpenWRT, but only if I plug my modem into a LAN port on LEDE. Has anyone else encountered something similar, or suggest why this occurred after the upgrade?

config interface 'loopback'
	option ifname 'lo'
	option proto 'static'
	option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
	option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config globals 'globals'
	option ula_prefix 'fd52:d193:29db::/48'

config interface 'lan'
	option ifname 'eth1'
	option force_link '1'
	option type 'bridge'
	option proto 'static'
	option ipaddr '192.168.1.1'
	option netmask '255.255.255.0'
	option ip6assign '60'

config interface 'wan'
	option ifname 'eth0'
	option proto 'dhcp'
	option peerdns '0'
	option dns '54.252.183.4 54.252.183.5'

config interface 'wan6'
	option ifname 'eth0'
	option proto 'dhcpv6'

config interface 'guest'
	option _orig_ifname 'wlan1-1'
	option _orig_bridge 'false'
	option proto 'static'
	option ipaddr '10.0.0.1'
	option netmask '255.255.255.0'

The default switch config in /etc/system has changed. And bunch of other settings, as the hardware description in the kernel devicetree has changed since the ancient 15.05 branch.

I suggest that you clear the network & system settings, and let LEDE create new default settings for you.

Easiest would be to just use "firstboot" and then reboot. Router should boot up with the current defaults.

Thanks for the quick reply! Makes sense to me.

Is clearing network and system settings as simple as deleting these files and rebooting?

If I remember correctly, both /etc/config/system and /etc/config/network will get re-created if they are missing at the boot. so, simple deleting them and rebooting, should be ok.

But remember to adjust all interface numbers in etc. SQM, QOS, VPN config files. In all places where you have direct interface names.

It would be safer to use firstboot and then manually reconfig everything, but that is more cumbersome.

1 Like