WRT1900ACSv2 overlay partition size

Hi guys,

I flashed my WRT1900ACSv2 with LEDE and started configuring and installing packages. I soon noticed that the /overlay partition was running out of space even though the box has128MB flash (one of the reasons I went for the 1900ACS). Looking at System -> Software it turned out that only 23.5MB are made available to /overlay. Is there any way to make /overlay utilize more of the available flash memory? I know that I can also change to an extroot configuration. However, 128MB are more than sufficient and so I would prefer sticking to a non-extroot configuration.

-- Wolfgang

It has 128MB flash but if you look at the flash layout there (Layer 3):
https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wrt_ac_series#armada_385

Since there are two partitions (primary and alternate), the remaining firmware flash allowance (80MiB) is divided equally between both partitions, and then trimmed down further by the kernel image. So I think that's why you are left with that much space at the end.

1 Like

Thanks for your quick reply. Got your point. I should have looked more thoroughly at the device page - I might have noticed it ...

Anyways - I assume my only option if I want to install packages like forked-daapd is going for an extroot setup.

-- Wolfgang