WRT1900ACS v2 major upgrade

I'm upgrading from 17.007.54272 to the current version(edit: 19.07.2)
How safe would I be to Keep Settings in lede?
I can work with it not being perfect but would really prefer to keep settings to do a fully remote upgrade.

My backup list:
/etc/config/ddns
/etc/config/dhcp
/etc/config/dropbear
/etc/config/firewall
/etc/config/fstab
/etc/config/luci
/etc/config/luci-opkg
/etc/config/network
/etc/config/rpcd
/etc/config/samba
/etc/config/samba-opkg
/etc/config/system
/etc/config/ubootenv
/etc/config/ucitrack
/etc/config/uhttpd
/etc/config/uhttpd-opkg
/etc/config/wireless
/etc/crontabs/root
/etc/dropbear/dropbear_rsa_host_key
/etc/fw_env.config
/etc/group
/etc/hosts
/etc/inittab
/etc/luci-uploads/.placeholder
/etc/opkg/keys/72a57f2191b211e0
/etc/opkg/keys/9ef4694208102c43
/etc/opkg/keys/b5043e70f9a75cde
/etc/opkg/keys/dace9d4df16896bf
/etc/opkg/keys/dd6de0d06bbd3d85
/etc/packages
/etc/passwd
/etc/profile
/etc/rc.local
/etc/samba/smb.conf.template
/etc/samba/smbpasswd
/etc/shadow
/etc/shells
/etc/sysctl.conf
/etc/sysctl.d/local.conf
/etc/sysupgrade.conf

Modified packages:
find /overlay/upper/ | while read FILE; do opkg search "${FILE#/overlay/upper}"; done | sed -ne "s/\s.*//p" | sort -u

kmod-usb-storage
opkg
usbip-server
busybox
odhcpd
swconfig
luci-app-samba
cifsmount
base-files
uboot-envtools
dnsmasq
block-mount
odhcp6c
sshfs
uci
wpad-mini
dropbear
mtd
ppp
libusb-1.0
kmod-gpio-button-hotplug
ntfs-3g
kmod-mwlwifi
ip6tables
usbip-client
luci
usbreset
mount-utils
ppp-mod-pppoe

Do not keep settings. Make a backup, as always. But I’d recommend recreating your settings just in case there have been material changes to the structure or options in the configuration files between the versions.

Many of the packages listed in your post are installed by default in any official stable release, but you may need to install a few packages after you finish the flash process (user installed packages are not saved, and would likely be incompatible anyway; config files related to those packages are sometimes compatible and can be copied from your backup if needed)

1 Like

Yea but that wouldn't that be a problem for a remote upgrade?
I mean will at least wifi interface be up?
edit: and if I'm to be at the location why cant I try to keep settings and revert to current image if fails?

Not if you keep settings, the wifi device paths changed at least once since 17.x

1 Like

I see, thanks.

Don’t do a firmware upgrade remotely, in general. Best to be directly physically connected (WiFi is disabled by default).

1 Like

Too late :stuck_out_tongue:
Should have told me to rebuild the default image to include necessary configuration. :sigh:

Do you have someone who can physically access your router? This person could switch the boot partition back to the old one by turning the power on and off in a specific order, as described here,

Yea that would work. At the end I took a laptop and a cable and did a basic setup then finished it remotely. I though about resetting it, decided otherwise, coz recompiling takes some time too.

Its all done now. Keep settings was definitely a no go looking at the config changes.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.