WRT1900ACS intermittent reboots with kernel oops

Hi, I'm a longtime OpenWrt and WRT1900ACS user and I've bought a 2nd one recently. I'm noticing some reboots here and there with a kernel oops message: Internal error: Oops - undefined instruction: 0 [#1] SMP ARM.

It's not all the time and it tends to happen more with guests over and more devices on my guest wifi network. Also, SQM tends to cause this issue more often so I've turned it off and seen a bit more stability. I've restarted the router since the last crash so I've lost the full crashlog from /sys/kernel/debug/ but I can add the details to this thread if/when it happens again.

I'm wondering if this issue could be from overheating. The router runs hot sitting on the table it's on (around 80 degrees C). I've changed its orientation and it's idling at about 70C now. I'm trying to figure out if I've just gotten a device that doesn't cool itself as well, or I just had it too close to other things giving off heat.

The kernel oops I got would indicate to me that there's some memory corruption either from bad memory or overheating but I'm not a kernel expert. I do have a decent amount of experience with OpenWrt. I've built custom firmware images with it and pushed them so I should be able to run any advanced tests suggested here. If I've gotten a bad device, I'll just ship it back but I'd like to make sure it's bad before I do that. Any help would be appreciated!

swap them around on identical releases ( would have been much harder to troubleshoot without two )...

should tell you pretty quickly...

1 Like

It's going to be a couple days before I can swap them but I'll give it a shot. I should have some data on how the possible bad device handles running about 10C lower by then as well. If there's anything I can look at until then, let me know. Thanks!