WRT1900AC V1 Wifi Slow to LAN/NAS but Fast to Wan?

I've been running OpenWRT for a few years and have been updating without any issues on my WRT1900AC V1 except this one.

When trying speedtests or anything like that from my Phone/Tablet (Android or iOS) I can easily stream 4k youtube and max out my internet connection at 300 Mb/s.

However, when trying to copy items from my NAS to my phone or tablet the speed is greatly reduced (5MB/s?). Very odd. Copying to my hardwired PC easily maxes out the gigabit connection (over 100 MB/s).

I've tried SMB, SFTP and NFS without much change. At first I thought it may have been specific to my phone but testing it on my tablet confirmed it wasn't specific to one mobile device. My devices show a connection at the router at 866Mbps, my bands are unused by anyone else. I force AES, WPA2, AC, etc. I've tried different channels and bandwidths, WMM, played with QoS and nothing seems to resolve this issue.

The CPU seems to have a lot of breathing room as well.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

@Fznwlf, welcome to the community!

Is the NAS on the OpenWrt device?

@lleachii Sorry, hopefully I can clarify:

-The router is WRT1900AC V1, the NAS I'm having speed issues with is the DS 718+.
-The SMB, SFTP, NFS being slow are all between the phone/tablet(wifi) to the NAS.
-SMB and SFTP work flawless Hardwired to NAS.
-Wifi devices access WAN without issue.

1 Like
  • So, let's see your wireless config
  • Also, are you on a congested channel with many APs (you can use a "WiFi Analyzer" app on a mobile phone to check)

@lleachii I will get you the config ASAP.

I've ran the wifi analyzer, I'm the only one on my channel. Wifi to the internet (speedtest) is super quick, even on the other side of the apartment.

1 Like

@lleachii As per your request.

config wifi-device 'radio0'
	option type 'mac80211'
	option hwmode '11g'
	option path 'soc/soc:pcie@82000000/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/0000:02:00.0'
	option country 'US'
	option htmode 'HT40'
	option legacy_rates '0'
	option channel '3'
	option txpower '20'

config wifi-iface 'default_radio0'
	option device 'radio0'
	option network 'lan'
	option mode 'ap'
	option ssid 'xxx'
	option encryption 'psk2'
	option key 'xxx'
	option macfilter 'allow'
	list maclist 'xxx'
	list maclist 'xxx'
	list maclist 'xxx'
	list maclist xxx'
	option disassoc_low_ack '0'

config wifi-device 'radio1'
	option type 'mac80211'
	option hwmode '11a'
	option path 'soc/soc:pcie@82000000/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.0/0000:03:00.0'
	option legacy_rates '0'
	option country 'IN'
	option htmode 'VHT80'
	option channel '56'
	option txpower '27'

config wifi-iface 'default_radio1'
	option device 'radio1'
	option network 'lan'
	option mode 'ap'
	option ssid 'xxx'
	option key 'xxx'
	option macfilter 'allow'
	list maclist 'xxx'
	list maclist 'xxx'
	list maclist 'xxx'
	option encryption 'psk2+ccmp'
	option disassoc_low_ack '0'

Can you test with your PC on wifi?

This will help determine if this really is a wifi<->wired issue, or if has to do with the mobile devices (in general) with a less-than-optimal implementation of the file sharing protocols and local filesystem transfer speeds. If The PC on wifi performs well, the speed issues for your mobile devices are not related to wifi.