WRT1200 bridge mode and USB3 external drive

What files need to be configured for samba to work?

What problem are you having?

I was having connecting to samba issues. I can login to the IP but can't see anything on it. Now when I logged in tonight the drive is showing up on openwrt but the file system is listed as ?. I tried to unmount and it said

-ash: unmount: not found

I am just going to reinstall everything following https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/services/nas/cifs.server

The power flickered here last night due to a storm we was having. I am wondering if that is what unmounted my drive.

I vaguely remember having that problem, but it's been so long i can't remember what was causing it. (now that i think about it, it may have just been that it wasn't mounted).

The unmount command is umount (no n), i forget that sometimes myself.

I just did a factory reset, and starting all over.

I'm having problems mounting my hard drive, following several wiki's. I have xhci mass storage (usb3). I am having to piece the wiki's together for USB3 support and format/mount NTFS file system. It has taken my little over 2 hours to get this far.
So far so good, now to install samba.

I have installed these packages:

kmod-usb-storage-uas
usbutils
block-mount
gdisk
ntfs-3g
ntfs-3g-utils
fdisk
kmod-fs-ntfs
ntfs-3g-low
kmod-usb3

nano

You shouldn't need kmod-usb3, i'm also on a wrt1200 and usb3 is in the kernel, you also don't need kmod-fs-ntfs. You do need kmod-usb-storage to go along with kmod-usb-storage-uas, everything else looks fine. For samba all you need is luci-app-samba. Just for something to compare against, here's what i have installed for usb/samba/minidlna -

kmod-usb-storage
kmod-usb-storage-uas
block-mount
ntfs-3g
ntfs-3g-utils
kmod-fs-ext4
e2fsprogs
usbutils
fdisk
luci-app-samba
luci-app-minidlna

And then i mount with -

ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/storage -o rw,async

In Luci>System>Startup>Local Startup

you don't need kmod-fs-ext4 or e2fsprogs if you don't have an ext4 drive

1 Like

you referring to this?
That was missing from my first attempt.

# Put your custom commands here that should be executed once
# the system init finished. By default this file does nothing.

sleep 3

ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb-ntfs -o rw,sync

exit 0

Yes, that's it, once you have that you can reboot and it should be mounted at boot.

Just did a reboot and it didn't auto mount. I tried changing

to /mnt/sda1

(/dev/sda1, 7630883 MB) /mnt/sda1 ntfs defaults no no

It is showing up enabled under the mount points but it is not listed under Mounted file systems like it was before reboot.

when I run
ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb-ntfs -o rw,async it will mount manually.

When making this line -

ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/* -o rw,async

The * needs to be the mount point you made, to make it just ssh in and run this command -

mkdir /mnt/storage

You can change storage to whatever you want, i'm just using that as an example, so for this example the line would now be -

ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/storage -o rw,async

Make sure to use async and not sync because async is faster. And i know this is probably getting confusing at this point, but the drive should show up in Mounted File Systems, go ahead and delete whatever was auto-populated in Mount Points, it's caused conflicts in the past for me when using ntfs-3g to mount.

Here's what mine looks like, you can see my ntfs drive (/mnt/storage) at the bottom of the list in Mounted File Systems and nothing in Mount Points -

I have looked at that command several times and the last reboot it is staying mounted. Would the size of the drive or the partitions be an issue?

From inside OpenWRT everything appears to be configured. this time when I go to Windows 10 I am getting

Unable to connect to server...error code 0x80070043

add network location \ipaddress\Movies it takes a long time to fail over ethernet connection directly into the router.

I have rebooted my computer and the router yet again. The drive is staying connected and the shares appear to be valid. Tomorrow I can try and logging with a Ubuntu computer to see if the issue is with my computer or the permissions.

Reviewing my photo I am guessing the error is I have 2 different mount points.

/mnt/sda1 & /mnt/usb-ntfs

Yes, i don't know if it's the problem here, but i do know it can cause problems regardless, so you can go ahead and delete the /mnt/sda1 mount point in Mount Points. Also, instead of trying to connect with \ipaddress\Movies, try connecting with just \ipaddress and see what that does.

I just found this in the forum.

Once kmod-fs-ntfs exists, ntfs-3g doesn't work. So just remove kmod-fs-ntfs.

How do your edit the fstab? I notice it has the wrong mount point in there, but it appears to be missing the file system, options and other settings.

1 Like

You can just use the Delete button in Mount Points to remove the /mnt/sda1 mount, that will remove it from fstab too, if it doesn't try rebooting and checking again. Mounting with ntfs-3g in Local Startup should only show up in /etc/rc.local, not in fstab.

Thank you for finding this.

I spent hours on my WRT3200ACM trying to figure out why the drive could mount, I could LS it from the terminal, but it couldn't be accessed via Samba nor miniDLNA.

I removed the kmod-nfts and just kept my ntfs3g/fuse modules, and all is right after a reboot.

This topic was automatically closed 0 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.