Wrong IP detected by pppoe?

Hi all!

First of all let me introduce myself: I am an IT professional from Italy and I just installed LEDE on my TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND v1.8, because I was worried about the security of the original firmware, given its age (last update is from 2014).

I am very happy with LEDE and I've been able to configure everything quite easily, until now.

I installed the DDNS package to be able to update my no-ip ddns account. However, I noticed (by reading the logs) that the update script wasn't able to do its job. Looking better I realized that the update script was sending an incorrect address.
At first I thought it was a problem in the update script itself, but later I saw that it was actually the address reported by the pppoe-wan interface.

I fixed the ddns problem quite easily by configuring it to get the address by using an external URL, but the original problem remains: why is the pppoe-wan interface reporting that address in the first place?

Here is a screenshot:

As you can see, it says my WAN address is 100.114.159.210, which is wrong (and it is a reserved address, too).

What's wrong here? Or am I reading that report in the wrong way?

My LEDE version is LEDE Reboot 17.01.2 r3435-65eec8bd5f.

Thank you in advance!!
Cris

I am afraid that IP address is not wrong. You happen to be connected to a shitty ISP who uses carrier-grade NAT, and that is the real IP you are getting. When you check it using an external server, you obviously get the IP address of your gateway, but that is not your real IP address.

3 Likes

Thank you @eduperez for your reply.
This would be a pity. I'm not completely convinced BTW, since my previous (original) firmware was correctly detecting the external IP address.
I'll try to get some more information from my ISP site and/or support forums.

Thanks!
Cris

Your previous firmware probably did the external-server-trick, and thus obtained the wrong IP address.
If you do not believe me, just open a port in your router, and connect to it using the external IP address.

@eduperez I will try what did you say about hope it's correct. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi @eduperez, sorry for the long delay. I did not have time to do tests.

When you say "the external IP address" you mean the real one or the one reported by pppoe?
And what should I expect from this test? Should I be able to connect?

T.I.A.
Cris

If my assumptions are correct, you will not be able to connect to the router, using either the IP address obtained from an external web page, or the IP address reported by the WAN connection.

I have exact problem now. How can i get a real public IP now without changing my ISP?
I called my ISP and asked them to assign me a real public IP but their response was not helpful.

You can try to find a VPN provider that gives you a public IP address, and allows you to open ports. Or you can find a VPS provider, and create your own VPN.

I do not know of any other solutions.

3 Likes

Hi Cris, I have another router that runs [Powered by LuCI openwrt-19.07] that has the exact same issue and I'm having a problem updating my DDNS which made me reach to this point.

Can I ask you to tell me how did you manage to fix it please?

Hi @aliafifi130, it's been sooooooo long... I do not really remember what was going on or how I fixed it.
I do not longer have that router and I'm not presently using OpenWrt.
BTW, reading what I wrote at that time, I suppose I edited the DDNS script and changed the way it got the external IP address, by taking advantage of one of the many web sites that report your IP as seen by the internet.
Several sites allow you to use some kind of REST query, so you should be able to do it with a simple curl.
I do not have more details, I'm sorry...

Best
Cris