Wpa3 support in OpenWrt?

and it won't get wpa3 support either.

18.06.2 is a maintenance release of the 18.06.x branch, it gets bugfixes - not new features, that's what master and the next major release are for.

2 Likes

Is wpa3 psk already in master branch?

Yes, for a couple of months now

1 Like

I have WPA3-SAE with RT2870 (x86_64) but WPA2-only on ath9k (TP-Link TL-WR1043ND v1). Maybe its not ready for MIPS yet or something.

Is wpa3 able to coexist with wpa2 on same interface?

A properly implemented WPA3 system will handle WPA2 clients, though without the WPA3 feature set.

1 Like

Only in sae-mixed mode, not sae.

2 Likes

can you tell me the difference? do you know if openwrt (hostapd) supports it ?

It requires wpad-openssl (or wpad-wolfssl), other than that, current master is supporting WPA3 just fine (client support is a much bigger issue, at least for non-linux clients or with older hardware; the tl-wr1043ndv1 should support it though).

1 Like

well wpa3-mixed works well... problem is that my s8 and win doesn't support wpa3 so i can test only the fallback part... will test the owa part

Fun thing... it looks like the mvebu wireless driver doesn't like WPA3 (the authentication is broken and crash the router...)
On R7800 (ipq8065) it's all good....

1 Like

I have none of these installed but 'hostapd-openssl' and 'wpa-supplicant-mesh-openssl' and WPA3 has SAE and SAE mixed-mode.

@robimarko recently worked on WPA3 so if anyone is interested should test OpenWrt from latest git source code and report back.

Adding some iwinfo strings doesn't really change functionality, and as far as I can see the change still doesn't cover the WPA2/WPA3 mixed mode which will be very common as new devices cohabitate old ones.

Or are there other changes you are referring to?

What is the issue you are facing with WPA3?
I was just getting iwinfo to properly identify WPA3 so that in LuCI you dont see it being configured as WPA2 which is not correct

Using sae-mixed displays as WPA2.
It should display as WPA3/WPA2 Or similar.

I'm not ungrateful for the change you pushed. There's just a bit missing.

Yeah, I did not cover that.
I will take a look at it at the end of month

1 Like

I didn't look into It at all, but if I had to guess they're bit masks, so you're looking for case 6.

Thanks

I have working WPA3 on Netgear 6220 @ snapshot / wpad-wolfssl:

Yes, iwinfo can identify the WPA2/WPA3 mixed mode easily.
It will be detected as WPA3 PSK, SAE

For "sae-mixed" (WPA2+WPA3), this is not true for IBSS/Ad-hoc connections, which will show "none", and 802.11s mesh connections, which show "unknown". This is current as of yesterdays master snapshot.