[Workaround] GL-AR150: No DHCP if LAN cable is not plugged during boot

If the check is the problem and you're right that it's redundant, the problem really should be fixed upstream (by removing that check).

Hopefully, some dev will look at this thread and the corresponding bug and clarify what's right and wrong – and eventually fix the problem!

Maybe you want to comment on my bug?!

It's pretty clear now counting your last comment.
The only productive thing I can do is vote for it and add to the watchlist.
I've already done both, so what's left is developers opinion and action.
Alas, I don't have this bug and can only reproduce it synthetically putting interface down.

Want get rid of 28 €?! Then you can also have this bug :wink:

2 Likes

@l3u @vgaetera cant quite understand your bug joke one day maybe I will

Just pointing out that on my ar150 modded firmware with just eth0 over switch controlling both rj45 plugs and relayd using wwan on router radio I think I am getting same behaviour when the second radio (usb dongle through usb hub) member of the br-lan interface is missing (not attached to the router) dont have the hub and dongle with me to test what happens when they are connected to the router I'll try to get ahold of them to be sure that the behavior is different when both the pieces of the br-lan are in place at boot time.

Personally for me one more UCI-option doesn't change much, but this is definitely an issue for new users.
There're plenty of bugs on similar level, but it seems that we don't have enough developer resources to resolve them.

Like I said before, if this is present on the default gl iNet firmware as well, then I would go and raise a thread on their forums with this information.

They have very responsive developers over there because they’re only interested in a smaller set of devices (the ones they sell).

I can't imagine that this issue exists in the original firmware, but it's surely worth checking. Afaik, they use an older version of OpenWrt, probably pretty much has been changed since …

Actually, GL.iNet keeps on top of updates, unlike most that I know of. Their repo is remarkably current -- based off 18.06.1:

jeff@deb-devel:~/devel/openwrt-glinet-develop$ git merge-base glinet/develop openwrt/openwrt-18.06 
70255e3d624cd393612069aae0a859d1acbbeeae
jeff@deb-devel:~/devel/openwrt-glinet-develop$ git log -1 70255e3d624cd393612069aae0a859d1acbbeeae
commit 70255e3d624cd393612069aae0a859d1acbbeeae (tag: v18.06.1, v18.06.1)
Author: Jo-Philipp Wich <redacted>
Date:   Thu Aug 16 18:36:48 2018 +0200

OpenWrt v18.06.1: adjust config defaults

Signed-off-by: Jo-Philipp Wich <redacted>

And if it doesn’t exist, why?
Did they do something specifically to mitigate it, or does being on an older firmware simply fix it?

The answers to those questions are just as important and would help any dev in finding/fixing the issue.

2 Likes

I filed a bug report: https://bugs.gl-inet.com/view.php?id=146

You're completely right, the GL-iNet devs are probably very interested in OpenWrt working flawlessly with their hardware :wink:

Found related OP

https://forum.openwrt.org/t/dhcp-server-not-work-on-new-interface/27775

@l3u, @lantis1008, @rezder, @Pippo
If you are interested in resolving this issue, you should at least vote for it:
https://bugs.openwrt.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=2145
Otherwise developers won't raise this task priority.

Need first to set up my router to try if behaves the same (or re flash to standard 18.02).

First thing first how I do make logread more verbose for dnsmasq ?

Second wasn’t able to figure out by reading wiki
Is ipv6 supported by dnsmasq-full or is odhcp taking care of ipv6 dhcp ?

Okey my relayd plus switch modded ar150 is too difficult to understand to me

Recovered the AP with switch on both rj45 plug
Unfortunately is meaningless to this example as per my DHCP server its off ? (dont't know if it is or not)
but my layout is

Router DHCP server ----> ar150 1st port lan ---> radio0 access point

so when I connect by wifi to radio0 I can try to mirror traffic from Lan to second ethernet port

What I figured out today is that without having swconfig properly set I still can get some ipv6 related (I believe) traffic whille scanning with wireshark for packets on the second ethernet port !!!!!
As soon as I disable dhcpv6 on Lan:

etc/config/dhcp option dhcpv6 'disabled'

I dont get any pèackets on my wireshark probe ??

Sorry I am new I don't no how things work yet. I voted

I wondering how close this is to bricking it, because if the there is no dhcp hosts in the generated
file /tmp/hosts/dhcp.cfg01411c why is the ipv6 dhcp running at all. That looks like a accident waiting to happen to me.

@rezder that’s why I was asking about odhcp

Think I’ll have to try to reflash my ar150 and see what I can guess ! Still need the most possible verbose output on dmesg / logread about dnsmasq / dhcp ! Any hint ??

@Pippo I don't know but I expect you could change the command in dnsmasq init script to launch dnsmasq in a more verbose mode. That should create more messages in the log. You could do the same for procd and maybe make your own init script that logs information from the bus at a interval so you could follow what happens to the br-lan.

1 Like

@rezder

Found

log level ’4’

In

etc/config/dhcp

dhcp config section

It’s like my config is different from wiki

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/base-system/dhcp

But my build it’s kind of 5 months old from trunk/master repo no 18 fork

I’ll look into the dnsmasq init.d script

procd is still obscure to me I’ll Google about it

Not sure if my build is using it or the old initd scripts?

Does procd appear with is name in ls proc or it has a pid associated with it (in this case how do I find it?)

@Pippo Sorry my bad I think I misunderstood how you set debug levels on procd. It is the first process pid 1, ps should display it.

root@GL-AR150:/# ps
  PID USER       VSZ STAT COMMAND
  1 root      1544 S    /sbin/procd

You can see my configs on my bug
https://bugs.openwrt.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=2145
and dmesg and logread from with and without cable pluged in.

I could not find anything about log level in dhcp.

@rezder

Ok still have to flash my ar150 with openwrt 18.06.2

my build has in etc/rc.d

S19dnsmasq
S35odhcpd

downloaded last openwrt image:

openwrt-18.06.2-ar71xx-generic-gl-ar150-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

is exactly the same

while Gl.inet download pages shows

for

openwrt-ar150-2.264.bin

S35odhcpd
S60dnsmasq

I dont understand a lot about all this but since people where pointing towards timing issues

if I am not wrong maybe Gl.inet people know better ??!!