WNR2000v5 pre-built images

Hey all, I have a Netgear wnr2000v5 router and would like to use it as a wireless repeater. After some internet searching I came across these links:

1. HOWTO: Building and installing openwrt on Netgear WNR2000V5
  2. https://github.com/lede-project/source/pull/1256

I searched the entire thread in link #2 but all the .img links by user "bobafetthotmail" are now dead. Does anyone have/know of where I can get the latest/most up-to-date image (with the Luci GUI please)? Thanks!

v5 Qualcomm Atheros QCA9531 32 MB 4 MB

https://openwrt.org/supported_devices/432_warning

2 Likes

Hi, thank you for replying. Yes I have read about the issues related to the bare minimum hardware requirements however in the #2 link I posted there were multiple people saying that the image they tried from "bobafetthotmail" worked for them and it seems to have included the Luci GUI. Is that incorrect?

Looks at the last few comments

2 Likes

The most recent comment by "bobafetthotmail" says:

...It barely fits Luci. Read the rest of the thread where I provide pre-compiled images.

This means he did make working images that included the barebones of OpenWrt and Luci, right?

Have you tried asking @bobafetthotmail

1 Like

This may be a very stupid question but I cannot find how to contact him. His github profile has no contact information and I don't see where I can send a private message here on the forum. Are new users prevented from pm'ing other forum users?

@bobafetthotmail - Hello, your links for Netgear wnr2000v5 img are down. Would you mind sending me the image with standard package (Luci GUI and allowing wireless repeating)? Thank you

Any special reason why you insist on using this underspeced device?
Have you understood the implications of the 432 warning?

What are your expectations on OpenWrt support for this device?
What is your usecase?
What are your Linux skills?
For how long are you planning on using this underspeced device with OpenWrt?

3 Likes

Don't argue with people using a wnr2000v5, lost cause.

4 Likes

yeah, invoking my name like that works.

I'm sorry about the dead links but that github thread was closed so I could not update it.

I'll post the links to my current cloud storage (Mega) within a hour or so.

I migrated to it after Dropbox decided that they support only folders on ext4 filesystem on Linux which is complete insanity.

2 Likes

The following image has Luci web interface, SQM, relay protocol (so you can use the device as a wifi repeater/bridge as explained here https://lede-project.org/docs/user-guide/relay_configuration ) and DDNS scripts built in, on top of default packages.
I removed opkg (and its libpthread dependency) to save space. You won't be able to use it anyway, as you noticed.

This firmware should have all base functionality of the stock firmware, plus just a bit more (SQM, VLAN support in the ethernet ports).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KROr7wmbx1tTXNZnDjJB2RZ2Of2Gi_dZ/view?usp=sharing

EDIT: changed download link

2 Likes

@tmomas - I already had the router and used it normally but my living situation changed and I needed a wireless repeater. Before throwing it away I thought I'd at least see if I could re-purpose it first. All I need it to do is extend the range of a wireless signal. That's it, that's all.

Though, honestly, thank you for your concern. It's easy to fall into a rabbit hole of forums of conflicting information regarding firmware hackery of old devices (e.g. old smartphones) and waste hours before someone steps in and explains clearly why/how wishful thinking and a magic firmware build won't suddenly make a device competitive with the latest and greatest :wink:

@bobafetthotmail - many thanks for taking the time to upload and share the link.

@mbo2o - thank you for pointing me to the right places and people

3 Likes

Just swap it for something that works. It's not really worth the effort, and if you get it to work it's not sustainable.

not everyone cares about having a safe device, many just want to add functionality to their device.

Flashing that old LEDE fork on it would add functionality, that's good enough for him.

I mean really that PR was never merged and will never be at this point, so he does not really need to care about updating it again beyond this point.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.