WNDR3800 crashes when more than one user connects via LAN

Hi all,

I'm having loads of trouble getting my Netgear WNDR3800 working reliably. I am running

LEDE Reboot 17.01.0 r3205-59508e3 / LuCI lede-17.01 branch (git-17.051.53299-a100738)

I have a pretty simple network configuration:

# cat /etc/config/network 

config interface 'loopback'
    option ifname 'lo'
    option proto 'static'
    option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
    option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config globals 'globals'
    option ula_prefix 'fddf:7c6f:36c0::/48'

config interface 'lan'
    option ifname 'eth0.1'
    option force_link '1'
    option type 'bridge'
    option proto 'static'
    option netmask '255.255.255.0'
    option ipaddr '192.168.2.1'
    option dns '192.168.1.1'
    option gateway '192.168.1.1'

config switch
    option name 'switch0'
    option reset '1'
    option enable_vlan '1'
    option blinkrate '2'

config switch_vlan
    option device 'switch0'
    option vlan '1'
    option ports '0 1 2 3 5t'

config switch_port
    option device 'switch0'
    option port '1'
    option led '6'

config switch_port
    option device 'switch0'
    option port '2'
    option led '9'

config switch_port
    option device 'switch0'
    option port '5'
    option led '2'

config interface 'wan'
    option proto 'static'
    option ifname 'eth1'
    option ipaddr '192.168.1.2'
    option netmask '255.255.255.0'
    option gateway '192.168.1.1'
    option dns '192.168.1.1'

Everything works fantastic when it's only me on the network. But when a second device connects and starts to pull any traffic, the entire router crashes and reboots.

Initially, I thought it must be a hardware problem, so I grabbed a friend's WNDR3800, installed LEDE on it, and experienced the same issue.

I'm definitely not an expert at this so I'm hoping there may be some simple misconfiguration that is causing all this mayhem.

I would very much appreciate any advice on how to proceed.

At the first glance your lan gateway setting looks strange. It is from a different subnet than lan itself.

You apparently have several routers or at least a smart modem or so. What is your network structure?

I rent space from a landlord who has a 100MB fiber line but they only allow access to it via an individually-assigned hidden ssid. So I have two routers, as follows:

{wan-hidden-ssid} <--> {router 192.168.1.1} <--> {netgearwndr3800} <---> {lan 192.168.2.0}

I originally had the netgear working in client mode connecting to the hidden-ssid to eliminate the need for the second router but actually thought that might be the cause of the router crashes, which is why I set it up as above. Happy to make any changes or even change it back to eliminating the second router.

Am I correct in assuming router "a" is doing the actually wan nat and router "b" is acting as switch?

I just wanted to loop back to indicate that this has been resolved. I'm not exactly sure what the problem was, but I fixed the issue by doing a clean reflash (i.e. did not save the configuration), and then reconfiguring the router. After one week of constant use, I've not had a single reboot.

Huzzah. Thanks to those who were trying to help.