WN573HX1 - Getting Started June 2024

It's June, 2024...I've found some great posts by timeport and dboy5026 from late last year and early this year about some initial work with WN573HX1. Can anyone share their latest experience / state / specific getting started recommendations based on where things are now / the snapshot that is listed in the hardware table?

I'm interested in having one configured as an access point (in a bridging configuration) supporting a mesh, and then some others configured to be a part of that mesh as access points that device can connect to. All with same SSID, mesh mode, everything on the same subnet. The factory stock WN573HX1 firmware doesn't seem to support mesh while in AP Mode, and am interested if OpenWRT might help here on the WN573HX1.

Thanks

Welcome to June.

access point (in a bridging configuration) supporting a mesh

Thats not gonna fly. mesh and ap are different wifi modes You can tunnel extra guest/iot networks over working mesh

Maybe it helps to answer this question first:

Are you sure you want a mesh?

For this you don't need a mesh network:

• All with same SSID
  • everything on the same subnet

So your main router is not running OpenWrt?

Thanks for the question....I'm definitely not sure. Like that link you posted says...the marketing noise regarding WiFi mesh is crazy. A linux board acts as my gateway/router. The first WiFi AP would be connected to the linux gateway/router via ethernet. Then several (perhaps 4-5) WiFi AP / mesh / ?? nodes are positioned along this long distance each within WiFi range of their two adjacent neighbors (connected to eachother using WiFi, no cables). The devices that need access to my linux gateway/router have static IP addresses on the same subnet as the linux gateway and can only know the single common SSID. So I'd like them to be able to connect to one of the 4-5 WiFi access point/mesh/?? nodes and end up with bridged access to my linux gateway/router.
I thought I watched this guy demonstrate something similar, but I could be misunderstanding what I saw.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmSKCE1QHK4

I've demonstrated something similar with the deco products where the main node runs in access point mode (which performs bridge) ethernet connected to my linux gateway/router, and then tp-link "claim" there is some kind of mesh after that. I've been able to force a "string" of two additional nodes (thats all I had avail), and it all works. I thought maybe after watching that youtube video , there was chance that I could configure something like that with OpenWRT.

Thoughts on this?

this setup sounds like you will need mesh.

you have two options: WDS or 802.11s mesh
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/atheroswds
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/mesh/80211s

here is some good explanation WDS vs 802.11s:

If your wifi infrastructure is going to be static then WDS. WDS is just easier to setup and more reliable and faster than 802.11s.

802.11s is complicated and not as reliable in my opinion.

1 Like

but it should support repeter mode?

@dnd - Thank you for pointing out the WDS info. I'm initially reading through this now, its not clear yet...WDS would allow a string/depth of a few of these, or only a depth of 1 repeater (star topology) away from the central WDS node? Example, can I do this Router <-(wired) WDS Node 1 <-(wifi) WDS Node 2 <-(wifi) WDS Node 3 <- WDS Node 4 ?

@ercolino - Yes, I first tested with a wavlink configuration of "AP Mode" on the device physically connected to my gateway/router via ethernet. Then I had two repeaters. They are configured by setting each repeater's upstream SSID to connect to. I set them up to build a string such that I had AP <- Repeater 1 <- Repeater 2. So, each repeater has yet a different SSID. I need all to be on the same SSID.

I'll keep reading up on WDS and relayd as well.

I'm hoping there are some other wavlink / wn573hx1 users out there that can at least report that OpenWRT can work and recommend some intial getting started / setup firmware install / config advice.

Thank you all!

1 Like

you should be able to "daisy chain" as many hops on WDS as you need but realistically packets will slow to a crawl by the 2nd or 3rd hop to the point it becomes unusable i.e. browsing the web is unbearably slow and watching youtube gets interrupted. That's just an inherent characteristic of wireless networking which is why I would always consider copper wire over wireless in any scenario. You should always be using dual radio routers for WDS networks with the backhaul on the 5GHz if you can get a reliable signal going. Unless you live in buckingham palace you should be able to get a single WDS hop on 5Ghz covering any modest household. If your antennas are detachable consider buying directional antennas. Not only will this improve signal quality but also help reduce airwave pollution.