WL-WN572HG3 Soft Hack?

@fow0ryl
We have been experimenting with many images for starters. See post about that above with this link. https://deviwiki.com/wiki/MediaTek_MT7620#Devices_using_MT7620A_.2F_MT7620N

There is also a image building server that is setup, so any custom config options could be baked in.

The biggest problem is mapping the memory allocations over from devices that do see the PCIe mapped 5ghz chip or the the mtd: storage, we haven't found one that boots that does both already or this would be a dead topic by now :slight_smile:

We are aware of other devices that use same chipsest and memory surface area, He just tried one and it half worked, you are more than encouraged to try the TFTP method with one(s) of your choice and provide the results!

Snapshot's of a few different devices are up with added drivers.
http://82.165.248.139/snapshot/
@fow0ryl the netgear is in there too with all the added block-device-mtd and mt76* meta driver package aling with some PCIe stuff.

I think I will go with your idea as the ESP32 would provide a solution for the reset button too.

I should be possible to emulate something like the DTR trick like the Arduinos do over Bluetooth SPP/RFCOMM.

1 Like

Hi,
because login at WavLink is not possbile they send me a firmware via mail.
It's named WN572HG3-WAVLINK_WO_20200717.bin and 5,7MB in size.
Since I'm not using any filehoster I can't upload it anywhere. Please send a PN if you like to get it via mail.

I can confirm, that this firmware works, and the backdoor is still there ...

check PM, I have left info for you there regarding file transfers

New snapshots are up, a few more features added in, I will start weeding them out tonight.

http://82.165.248.139/snapshot/10-15-2020/

I'm sure there are more modern methods, Bo Zimmermerman? used to have a nice ZiModem setup for the 8266/esp32

Hmmm that looks great. I would prefer Bluetooth as it works great with existing terminals etc.

Hi,
while looking for a firmware update of another 7Links device I found this page..
There is a link to "GPL Source Code" of the WLR-1200. The WLR-1200 from 7Links uses the same hardware as the original WavLink model. The file is about 1.6GB and includes many things which are not relevant. But, maybe you can find some useful hints there.

Hi,
is 82.165.248.139 down? Can't get any answer ..
Got the GPLD sourcecode from wavlink. About 280MB.

Yeah. Security was breached on the 20th at 16:40 so I had to wipe it and rebuild it. It's locked down pretty hard right now.
I'm trying to think of another method.

Hello,

Sorry for posting this question here, I am considering to buy one of these but Google searches and the manual couldn't answer my question for my use case. Can this be setup using the OEM firmware to use the 2.4G radio as the backhaul link (STA) to the wifi router and the 5G radio be used for the client network (Master)? I wanted to use OpenWRT on this out of the box but I see the 5G radio is not supported yet. I wanted to use the stock firmware until the OpenWRT image supports the 5G radio. Thanks in advance.

Hello,
I remember there is one mode called "repeater".

I know this mode takes "WAN" from 2,4 GHz and provides a new WiFi (like "LAN") on 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.
I use this on the ship to catch the WiFi of the marina and use it inside the ship.

I don't remember if there is an option to use it with 5 GHz internally only.

I hope this helps. I must have missed your post. Sorry for the late answer.

@Rodre

The "backhaul" uses the radio that you use to connect to what will be your "WAN"
If you connect to WIFI_2.4 then you will see WIFI_2.4Ghz_REPEAT and WIFI_5Ghz_REPEAT, the "LAN" port can be used on a switch to create local wired transport.

I recommend that you do as many of the following as possible.
Hide SSID of Source WIFI
Hide SSID of WIFI_Source_REPEAT (not WIFI_Source_REPEAT_5Ghz!)
Use different WPA2 Password for WIFI_Source and WIFI _Source_REPEAT

BONUS
Disable all auto configurations in wifi settings and advanced wifi settings on Source and Source_REPEAT and set them EXACTLY the same.
Increase your Max MTU
Disable anything related to Media Streaming/Boosting!/Speedup/Prioritization (this will chase it own tail trying to prioritize the media through the backhaul)
Use VPN between Source and Source_REPEAT (prioritization workaround)
Enable QOS on source side with higher weight for VPN if using it or by the IP of Source_REPEAT
Disable IGMP Snooping, dont need the traffic
Disable CDP on Source and ALL devices on Source_REPEAT, again traffic (wireless and wired)

That's all I can think of at the moment. It's bedtime.
Good luck!
Just remembered,
Use a PiHole server on your repeat side, look into creating a DNS Cache server on you PiHole as well.

Thanks for the responses. In re-reading my question I realized I wasn't very clear on what I wanted to achieve. I wanted the 2.4Ghz radio to be only used for the back haul not use the _REPEAT or _EXT for the SSID I wanted to broadcast on the 5Ghz (LAN) side. I rolled the dice and purchased this as I was pressed for time. I was able to achieve this but it wasn't very intuitive in the simple WebGUI. I went through the LAN extension wizard, chose gateway mode, connected the 2.4 radio to the AP I needed to extend and accepted the defaults for the rest. After it set and rebooted I went into the WiFi configuration, chose "hide SSID" for the 2.4Ghz radio, and then went in and turned off the 2.4Ghz radio (I think it had to be done in this order), and then went and changed the name and password of the SSID on the 5Ghz radio. It seemed smart enough to realize that I was using the 2.4Ghz radio as the client (STA) of the AP I was trying to extend and didn't turn it completely off - it just stopped broadcasting my SSID on it (I checked before and after with a WiFi scanner). Confusing but it worked.

@frustro - I think you must have different firmware than mine because I don't have any of the options you outlined in "bonus" section above. My FW version is M72HG3.V5030.200609 and when I get it to manually check from the config page in the WebGUI it says it is at the latest version.

Hi everyone, is there any news for this project? Thanks

I tried to solder a esplink to the router and may have damaged or broken it

I also prepared the antennas of the router with epoxy to test it on a pole during the coming summer at the ship. On the 5GHz part I got stuck as this leaves the field of my knowledge.

I think if the device would work again I could flash new experimental builds easily. I will see if somebody has any idea with this SMD part (pulldown resistor?).

muebau

Is there any update on this project so far or it's been shelved?

Nor working

Is this abandoned? I just accidentally bought 3 of these... I can't believe how useless the stock firmware is! It's the worst firmware I've ever seen, it can't do anything!!

I'm surprised this device isn't of more interest; inexpensive waterproof high-gain outdoor WAP... there's literally nothing else supported by OpenWRT like this, and it would be a really good complement to the device listing.
If this device had functional firmware, it would be a really valuable device for a lot of low-cost deployment scenarios.

If there a developer who can get this over the line? I would fund your time at a fair hourly rate.