I am new to OpenWRT, but not new to Linux or Routers (used the WRT54 in the old days).
Currently I am trying to set up a wireless connection with a OrangePi R1 (21.02.1).
Basically the router is running, only without the wireless (currently some old router connected as wifi gate).
From the FAQ:
Issue: After flashing OpenWrt, WiFi is not working.
Root cause: By default the wireless is OFF.
Solution: Turn it ON in
/etc/config/wireless by changing
disabled 1 ⇒
Sounds reasonable, but now I want to get wireless working...
... only there is no /etc/config/wireless
Can anyone talk me through the steps needed since the FAQ clearly does not help:
- I do not know for sure the USB wifi dongle is going to work ("cheap RTL clone")
- how can I detect the wlan?
- how can I set up the wlan?
From what I can see the FAQ dates back ages, refering to old tools.
What I tried:
- ifconfig does not show a wlan-device (which I don't find encouraging)
- dmesg show the realtek drivers have been installed and have seen a device
- the "radio0" (radio not active) shows a list of AP's in the neighborhood with a scan
- when I try a client connection to my wifi router I get "not associated" (not when I configure manually and not when I configure with the scan + connect)
Since I can scan a network I would guess I should be able to connect, however no luck so far.
The devices I tried:
Realtek RTL8811AU chipset ( USB ID = 0BDA:A811 ) Realtek RTL8821CU chipset ( USB ID = 0BDA:C820, Initial CDROM mode = 0BDA:1A2B )