Wireless interface disabled and luci-ssl gone after power off

I'm running OpenWrt 19.07 on 3 (different) TP-Link routers. A few weeks ago I manually turned all 3 routers off and on again. After this on ALL routers the 1) wireless interface was disabled and 2) luci-ssl wasn't available anymore. I never experienced this before in the years that I'm using OpenWrt, and I regularly (i.e. a few times a year) switch power of my routers. So I thought this was a one-off issue.
However yesterday I switched one of my routers off and on again and ran directly into the same problems: the wireless interface was disabled and luci-ssl wasn't available anymore. What could be the cause here?

Any other custom setting is working fine?
Sounds as if the device has lost the overlay file system, which is the writeable part, and is only left with the rom which is read only.

1 Like

Yes, all other custom settings are maintained. Just these two things.

Is the luci-ssl packet there?
Is the configuration part intact?
What about the wireless, does it have the disable '1' ?

1 Like

Well currently I fixed the situation by opkg update and opkg install luci-ssl. I enabled wireless via Luci in Network > Wireless.

How do I check if luci-ssl is there (ie where is it installed)?
What type of configuration? E.g. any other configuration changes I made are still there (at least in luci, so they must be there in the config files).
For the the disable '1' I guess I have to look in /etc/config/wireless? (Currently no such entry, because of enabling it via luci I guess).

You can check the list of installed packages opkg list-installed. If it seems there, you can look for the files it contains opkg files luci-ssl

It is located in /etc/config/uhttpd by default. There must be a line permitting the 0.0.0.0:443 and [::]:443. Optionally a redirect from http to https.

Yes, correct. If you enabled it, it won't be there anymore.

1 Like

Output of

df -h
mount
logread

would be helpfull for troubleshooting the loss-of-config issue.

Is extroot involved in this setup?

2 Likes

Hi tmomas,

The output of the first two commands are below. The logread contains only recent logging, not from the time of the problem. I powered off an on the router today to see if I could reproduce it and today it worked well. There is no extroot involved.

root@wifi-accesspoint-n-zd:~# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 2.5M 2.5M 0 100% /rom
tmpfs 29.1M 264.0K 28.8M 1% /tmp
/dev/mtdblock4 3.9M 516.0K 3.4M 13% /overlay
overlayfs:/overlay 3.9M 516.0K 3.4M 13% /
tmpfs 512.0K 0 512.0K 0% /dev

root@wifi-accesspoint-n-zd:~# mount
/dev/root on /rom type squashfs (ro,relatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime)
/dev/mtdblock4 on /overlay type jffs2 (rw,noatime)
overlayfs:/overlay on / type overlay (rw,noatime,lowerdir=/,upperdir=/overlay/upper,workdir=/overlay/work)
tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=512k,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,mode=600,ptmxmode=000)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,noatime)