Wireless instability on ath10k radios after upgrade to 21.02.1

approximately 24 hours ago i ran the following:

# uci set wireless.radio1.log_level=1
# uci commit wireless
# wifi up

since then no issues. however, i suspect the issue starts to happen after some period of time.

i'll report here if it happens again and will try to grab a snapshot of the management frames or at least more verbose log output.

finally had another failure today

there is nothing in the log at the time the issue started.

when i reassociate, it looks like any normal reassociation:

Fri Jan 21 03:53:12 2022 daemon.notice hostapd: wlan1: AP-STA-DISCONNECTED <HWADDR>
Fri Jan 21 03:53:12 2022 daemon.debug hostapd: wlan1: STA <HWADDR> WPA: event 3 notification
Fri Jan 21 03:53:12 2022 daemon.debug hostapd: wlan1: STA <HWADDR> IEEE 802.1X: unauthorizing port
Fri Jan 21 03:53:12 2022 daemon.debug hostapd: wlan1: STA <HWADDR> IEEE 802.11: deauthenticated
Fri Jan 21 03:53:12 2022 daemon.debug hostapd: wlan1: STA <HWADDR> MLME: MLME-DEAUTHENTICATE.indication(<HWADDR>, 3)
Fri Jan 21 03:53:12 2022 daemon.debug hostapd: wlan1: STA <HWADDR> MLME: MLME-DELETEKEYS.request(<HWADDR>)

based on some discussion in TP-Link Archer c2600 running poorly from 21.02 and onwards - #18 by dipswitch it appears that some devices benefit from switching back from the -ct driver to the closed source ath10k driver. 21.02.1 switched the default driver to the -ct. i'll test this out and report back.

i've performed the following to switch to the non-ct version of the firmware for my Turris Omnia:

# opkg update
# opkg remove ath10k-firmware-qca988x-ct kmod-ath10k-ct && opkg install ath10k-firmware-qca988x kmod-ath10k
# reboot

so far everything is working fine. i'll check back in a few days to report if the stability has improved.

1 Like

stability has definitely improved since switching back to the non-ct version of the kernel driver and firmware. i'd recommend anyone having trouble with 21.02.1 on a Turris Omnia try this out first before any other troubleshooting.

I have a similar problem. Even tried the ct-htt firmware but it didn't help. I will try the non-ct version, although I really hope it's somehow fixable for the ct version as well.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.