Wireless in @Davidc builds

Hello. guys

Is exist any way to use 40 MHz band? My config is

config wifi-device 'radio1'
   option type 'mac80211'
   option hwmode '11n'
   option path 'soc/soc:pcie-controller/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/0000:02:00.
   option country 'US'
   option htmode 'HT40'
   option channel '1'
   option txpower '23'
   option noscan '1'

config wifi-iface 'default_radio1'
   option device 'radio1'
   option network 'lan'
   option mode 'ap'
   option ssid 'myhomenet'
   option encryption 'psk2+ccmp'
   option key 'MySecretKey'

but Wi-Fi scanner (I used Wi-Fi analyzer for Android) shows 20 MHz channel only

Also, in 17.04 LEDE build I can create 3 separate network (AC, N and legacy) but in Davidc build - only 2 networks available.
Can I have new Wi-Fi driver, "wide" wireless and 3 networks?

The 802.11 spec has a 40-MHz channel falling back to 20 MHz BW if the adjacent channel(s) are not "empty". This may be what you're seeing.

For the specifics of that build, you should look at any support thread about it, or contact the builder directly.

1 Like

@jeff
These are built from Trunk sources using the latest wifi driver. There's nothing custom going on.

1 Like

@olegcentaur

Depending on the hardware, 40Mhz, 80, or even 160Mhz widths are available. I've owned the 1900ac which supported as wide as 80Mhz as well as the 1900acs, and 3200acm which supports 160Mhz widths. Currently those widths with the latest driver are working correctly.

According to what I see in the Wifi config, there is only 1 SSID, and the configuration appears to be messed up. I see 'radio1', but 'default_radio1' for the encryption/key etc..

Please completely remove all of your SSID's, and check to make sure the wireless config reflects nothing configured. Then re-create 1 SSID, and check to make sure it is working properly before moving on to the next one.

See if that gets you pointed in the right direction.

1 Like

A bit off topic, but now that OpenWrt forums are gone, hopefully Davidc502 will start a new thread here at LEDE for discussion of his builds. Hoping he also adds WRT32X now that official support has been added to master.

1 Like

The next build will include support for the 32X. I've already been outfitting the website for the new image. The GUI is pretty much done, but the back end scripts still need to be written which really isn't much.

3 Likes

Awesome, thanks for all your efforts on this!

OK, I removed /etc/config/wireless file then flashed your last FW (2018-05-11 00:27)
Then setup wireless "from scratch".
No results :frowning:
I recorded a video for you. http://take.ms/qy7lH
Screenshot of Wi-Fi analizer see belowScreenshot_20180515-193336

Sorry for hijacking the thread but I wonder if there is a general way to improve wifi performance with the WRT3200acm... ?
Disabling "Allow legacy 802.11b rates" at radio0+1 should improve performance (option legacy_rates '0') ?
What about "option noscan '1'", should this be in my wifi config as well ?

I'm using the EU version of the WRT3200acm and i'm using the latest build of davidc502...

Since it sounded like this could be an issue, I waited to get home to test. Appears you are correct with the discovery as my 2.4Ghz will not go "wider" than 20mhz either.

I'll need to do some testing to find out what might be going on... First off, I don't know if I have any devices that support 40Mhz width on 2.4Ghz... eh...

“option noscan ‘1’” needed to prevent your router "fall" to 20Mhz band if your neighbours have wi-fi too. But I can't recommend you do it always. You should analize your situation. In case you need the fastest link, you should use wide band. In this case you could sacrifice a coverage because your neighbour's collisions may interfere. If you need a maximum distance you should use 20Mhz on free channel, maybe legacy bands switch on too. The common rule is "the small frequencies is slower but long-ranged"
My aim is only cover 70 sq.m. flat in high-rise bldg and make a "beam" to the bench in my yard if I would a work in summer with my laptop. So, I just put my router on the window sill and maximize signal power :slight_smile:

2 Likes

OK, and what about 3rd SSID? E.g. on the LEDE 17.04 FW I have one 5Ghz AC SSID and two 2.4 SSIDs
In your build only 2 SSIDs are possible? New driver 'exclude' one radio-module support?
Full 17.04 /etc/config/wireless is

config

config wifi-device 'radio0'
option type 'mac80211'
option hwmode '11a'
option path 'soc/soc:pcie-controller/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.0'
option country 'US'
option htmode 'VHT80'
option noscan '1'
option channel '64'
option txpower '23'

config wifi-iface 'default_radio0'
option device 'radio0'
option network 'lan'
option mode 'ap'
option key 'Str0ngWifiPass'
option ssid 'bvanet'

option type 'mac80211'
option hwmode '11n'
option path 'soc/soc:pcie-controller/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/0000:02:00.0'
option country 'US'
option htmode 'HT40'
option channel '1'
option txpower '23'
option noscan '1'

option device 'radio1'
option network 'lan'
option mode 'ap'
option ssid 'bvanet'

config wifi-device 'radio2'
option type 'mac80211'
option path 'platform/soc/soc:internal-regs/f10d8000.sdhci/mmc_host/mmc0/mmc0:0001/mmc0:0001:1'
option country 'US'
option channel '11'
option noscan '1'
option txpower '28'
option htmode 'HT40'
option hwmode '11g'

config wifi-iface
option device 'radio2'
option mode 'ap'
option ssid 'bvanet'
option key 'hWwMjuWL$'
option network 'lan'
option macfilter 'allow'
list maclist '40:A5:EF:40:72:B0'

config wifi-device 'radio0'
option type 'mac80211'
option hwmode '11a'
option path 'soc/soc:pcie-controller/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.0'
option country 'US'
option htmode 'VHT80'
option noscan '1'
option channel '64'
option txpower '23'

config wifi-iface 'default_radio0'
option device 'radio0'
option network 'lan'
option mode 'ap'
option ssid 'bvanet'

option type 'mac80211'
option hwmode '11n'
option path 'soc/soc:pcie-controller/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/0000:02:00.0'
option country 'US'
option htmode 'HT40'
option channel '1'
option txpower '23'
option noscan '1'

option device 'radio1'
option network 'lan'
option mode 'ap'
option ssid 'bvanet'

config wifi-device 'radio2'
option type 'mac80211'
option path 'platform/soc/soc:internal-regs/f10d8000.sdhci/mmc_host/mmc0/mmc0:0001/mmc0:0001:1'
option country 'US'
option channel '11'
option noscan '1'
option txpower '28'
option htmode 'HT40'
option hwmode '11g'

config wifi-iface
option device 'radio2'
option mode 'ap'
option ssid 'bvanet'
option key 'hWwMjuWL$'
option network 'lan'
option macfilter 'allow'
list maclist '40:A5:EF:40:72:B0'
option hidden '1'
option encryption 'none'

3rd hidden wi-fi is not critical but I have a strange noname tablet which drop WPA2 auth with this router (my past Huawey WS880 under Tomato FW worked OK with it)

This is also illegal in some countries. In those countries, you cannot disable the ability of the radio to check for interference and adjust itself accordingly.

The ability to use 40, 80, etc. depends on the band/adjacent channels being free.

I've only witnessed my router enter 40 MHz+ mode doing the following:

• Look at the Connected Wireless Clients
  • Run a test on a website such as http://speedtest.net
  • I would see the bandwidth of the radio increase during the test
  • After the test was over, it went back to 20 MHz
1 Like

I have a Samsung S8 put on 2.4Ghz and thought I would see 40Mhz width being used when I did my speedtest yesterday, but it never changed from 20. I have iphones that I could check as well.

See:

You are right, but very strange... My Android-TV uses 40 MHz band, my OnePlus 5 smartphone never. My wife's Xiaomi smartphone use "wide" band, my daughter's IPAD not. Both of my laptops works fine in 2.4 40Mhz and 5GHz AC bands. My noname tablet doesn't reject WPA2 auth (when router worked under LEDE 17.01 it was a trouble). So, I think wireless performance and bands depends of wireless clients. It sounds strange because 802.11n is very "old" standard but facts is facts.
Of course ISP speed may be a reason (I have 100 mbit/s WAN only) but I tried to send 4K movie via LAN - result the same.

1 Like

Don't know if it's related

https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/issues/295

This is usually the case. Strangely though, most people try to tweak their APs instead.

• You're probably pulling a lot of 720 + video.
  • Are you sure it does 40+ MHz???
  • Is it a new or older iPad?

:+1:

Yes, because no reasons to buy smart-tv if not watch high-res video on it :slight_smile:

Of course, Snapdragon 835 chipset can do it. https://www.gsmarena.com/oneplus_5-8647.php
This phone can use AC band, I checked 2.4 40 MHz for test only.

It is IPAD mini 2 https://support.apple.com/kb/SP693